In the rescheduled 2012 CIAC Class L Indoor Track and Field Championships on Monday at the Floyd Little Athletic Center in New Haven CT, both the Darien Girls Team and the Windsor Boys emerged from a group of contenders for the team titles in a meet marked by several lead changes.
In the CIAC Class L Girls Indoor Track and Field Championship, the Darien Girls team narrowly defeated runner-up Windsor by a 72.5 to 71 point margin as the East Lyme team trailed in third place with 53.25 points. While Darien won only two events, they scored in twelve of the fifteen events. Leah Hotchkiss and Catherine Lacy led a 1-2 finish in the High Jump as Hotchkiss cleared 5’1” for the win. Dillon Schoen won the 600m Run in 1:39.36 while Lacy placed second in the Long Jump behind winner Janae Wilson of Windsor who leaped 18’5” for the gold medal. The other big points came from runner-up Grace Loh (3:00.31) in the 1000m Run that was won by Cate Allen of Fairfield Warde in 2:59.57.
The only meet record set on Monday was by the Windsor 1600m Sprint Medley Relay team of Vanessa Harris, Applelonia Dawes, Courtney Kearse and Medinah Nabadduka as they combined to finish in 4:14.32 to lower the former mark of 4:18.35 set by Farmington in 2004.
The top performers in the CIAC Class L Girls Indoor Track and Field Championship, included:
· Theresa Saia of Masuk in the 55m Dash with a winning time of 7.37.
· Sherise Truman of Hartford Public won the 300m Dash in 41.48.
· Cate Allen of Fairfield won her second event of the day as she finished in 5:16.41 in the 1600m Run.
· Stephanie Benko of New Canaan ran a personal best for the season as she won the 3200m Run in 11:20.17.
· Shaydeene Wilson of Hartford Public was the fastest in the 55m Hurdles with a time of 8.84.
· The 4x200m Relay was won in 1:48.10 by the Windsor team of Courtney Kearse, Applelonia Dawes, Vanessa Harris and Janae Wilson.
· The Windsor team also team also produced the fastest 4x400m Relay team as Courtney Kearse, Applelonia Dawes , Vanessa Harris and Medinah Nabadduka combined to win in 4:06.00.
· The 4x800m Relay was won in a time of 9:58.91 by the East Lyme team of Nolene Power, Anika , Stephanie Wisner and Eva Christensen.
· The Pole Vault was won by Jane Martinez of East Lyme as she cleared 10’0”.
· Veyda McVey of Lyman Hall won the Shot Put with a toss of 36’8”.
In the CIAC Class L Boys Indoor Track and Field Championship, the Windsor Boys team finished with 62 points that was just enough for the team title over runner-up Darien with 58 points and third place New Canaan with 46 points. The final 4x400m Relay event proved to be the deciding factor as New Canaan won in a time of 3:33.19 while Windsor finished 4th and Darien in5th. Prior to the final event Windsor had been leading Darien by only two points, 58 to 56. The Windsor Boys team victory featured victories in two events by Daniel Jamieson as he won the 55m Dash in 6.55 and the 300m Dash in 35.84. Teammate Brian Sappleton also contributed second place points in the 300m. Jamieson and Sappleton combined with Sherrod Peay and Kahlin Bolden to win the 4x200m Relay in 1:32.66. More important points came from a second place finish by Benjamin Compton in Shot Put (48’0”) behind the winning toss of 49’3.75” by Rami Hamdan of New Canaan.
The top performers in the CIAC Class L Boys Indoor Track and Field Championship, included:
· Jacob Eschner of Bristol Central won the 600m Run in 1:24.70.
· Jack White of Fairfield Ludlowe scored a victory in the 1000m Run with a time of 2:36.08.
· Harry Warnick of Fairfield Warde was another double event winner as he ran to first places in the 1600m Run in 4:23.00 and the 3200m Run in 9:47.60.
· The 55m Hurdles gold medal was claimed by David Camille of Bunnell in 7.83.
· The 4x400m Relay was won by the New Canaan quartet of Henson Orser, George Bennett, Isaiah Maisonette and Alexei Spinu in 3:33.19.
· The Naugatuck 4x800m Relay sped to a win in 8:13.98 with the team of Muad Hrezi, Nick , Collin Reilly and Jake Simons.
· The 1600m Sprint Medley Relay was won in 3:42.36 by the New Canaan team of Henson Orser, George Bennett, Isaiah Maisonette and Alexei Spinu in 3:42.36.
· Nicholas Lombardo of Darien cleared 6’0” for a victory in the High Jump.
· The Pole Vault was won by Tyler John of Masuk as he cleared 12’6”.
· Daylen Paiva of Crosby won the Long Jump with a leap of 21’9.75”.
The complete results from are available at the Results page. A results report by team is also available as MySportsResults partners with Northeast Sports Timing Services to include posting of an Adobe PDF file (labeled Meet Name -Team Results) containing the results sorted by team so that coaches can easily print their athletes and performances.