By Senior Correspondent Marty Ogden and Ron Knapp
Updated 5/28/2019 with rescheduling of meets due to weather.
The recent conference championships served as a prelude to the 2019 CIAC Class championship competition for Connecticut athletes that starts Wednesday May 29th with Class MM at Middletown High School in Middletown and Class M at Veterans’ Stadium at Willow Brook Park in New Britain at 10:00am followed by Class LL at Willow Brook Park at 3:00pm.
Competition concludes on Thursday May 30th with Class L at Middletown High School and Class S at Willow Brook Park.
Athletes will compete for individual and team honors as well as for the opportunity to qualify for the CIAC State Open Championship on Monday, June 3rd at Willow Brook Park.
All the combined boys and girls meets start at 3:00 pm for Field events with Track events starting at 3:30 pm.
2019 CIAC Championship Order of Events
Order of Track Events: (3:30pm start)
(Boys then Girls unless noted otherwise)
· 4x800m Relay
· 4x100m Relay
· Boys 110m Hurdle - Semi
· Girls 100m Hurdle - Semi
· Boys 100m Dash - Semi
· Girls 100m Dash - Semi
· 1600m Run
· Girls 100m Hurdle - Final
· Boys 110m Hurdle - Final
· Girls 100m Dash - Final
· Boys 100m Dash - Final
· 400m Dash
· 300m Hurdle
· 800m Run
· 200m Dash
· 3200m Run
· 4x400m Relay
Order of Field Events: (3:00pm start)
(Starting simultaneously. All field events in all State Championship Meets will now have a ten (10) minute check-out limit.
· Boys Javelin followed by Girls Javelin
· Girls Discus followed by Boys Discus
· Boys Shot followed by Girls Shot
· Boys High Jump followed by Girls High Jump
· Boys Long Jump followed by Triple Jump
· Girls Long Jump followed by Triple Jump
· Boys Pole Vault followed by Girls Pole Vault (or simultaneously)
In the Class and Open Meets, competitors in the shot, discus, javelin, triple jump and long jump, the three (3) trials and three (3) finals will be observed. The top nine (9) advance to the final round where all jumps and throws will be measured.
Team and Event Awards
Teams compete for the Championship and runner-up trophies that will be awarded at each meet based on event scoring of 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 for an eight-lane track.
Medals will be awarded for the first six (6) places in all events. All Class meet winners will be named as All-State and invited to the All State Banquet on June 19th, which will be held at the Aqua Turf Club, 556 Mulberry Street, Plantsville, CT.
Automatic Qualifying Performance Standard for State Open Championship
Athletes Will qualify for the state open by placing in the top five (5) in their class meet or by obtaining the special (automatic) standard for their event at the state class meet in the current year.
The special standard will be set each year after the class meets have ended. The special standard will be determined by looking at the performance rankings for each event that includes the top five (5) qualifying performances from each of the class meets. The 12th place performance from the qualifiers becomes the automatic standard for that year. All athletes who meet that standard during the current year’s class championship will advance to the open. Qualifiers who have met the standard will see their names posted online 24 hours after the conclusion of the last class championship meet.
Spectator Fees for Class and Open Meets:
Charges for Class and State Open Championships will be: * Subject to change depending on venue:
· $5.00 – Senior citizens (age 65 and older)
· $5.00 – Students (Grades 1-12)
· $10.00 – Adults (All others not in the above categories)
· Free – Children five (5) and under
· Free – Military with I.D. or in uniform
Safety is an emphasis at all CIAC events. Many events are potentially dangerous if proper precautions are not observed. Spectators may not be on the field and must remain in the assigned spectator areas.
· The Performance Lists for each of the CIAC Class Championship Meets are available at the CIAC Outdoor Track and Field website: http://ciacsports.com/site/?page_id=972
· The complete list of CIAC Class and Open Championship Meet Records are available on the MySportsResults.com Outdoor Records page sponsored by soundRUNNER Scholastic with stores in Branford, Fairfield, Glastonbury and Old Saybrook.
· Visit the new site for Connecticut High School State Records for Indoor and Outdoor Track & Field at My Track and Field Records.