The results were favorable for a large state contingent who competed at the Foot Locker Cross Country Championships Northeast Regionals at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx-New York City on Saturday under cloudy skies and 45-degree temperatures.
The Girls Championship (Seeded) Race featured a fifth-place by Kate Wiser of Southbury (Pomperaug HS) in 17:52 for the 5k course. Wiser’s top-ten finish followed her State Open and New England Championship wins as she claimed her ticket to the Foot Locker XC National Championships at Morley Field at Balboa Park in San Diego, CA on Saturday, December 8, 2018. After an 11th place finish last season, Wiser ran strong with the lead group that included race winner sophomore Sydney Masciarelli of Northbridge MA (Marianaoplis Prep) in a fast 17:12. Wiser joins a large group of past Connecticut finalists including Championship winners Ceci Hopp of Greenwich (’80) and Liz Mueller of Waterford (’91) as well as 3-time finalist Hannah Debalsi of Staples (’13-15).
Kate Wiser Finished 5th (Photo by Ron Knapp, MySportsResults.com)
Other top state finishers in the race included Mari Noble of Greenwich (15-18:42), Hazel Hudson of New Fairfield (41-19:29), Kylie Raymond of Somers (42-19:31), Sophie Curcio of New Canaan (68-19:57), Frankie Lynch of West Hartford-Hall (75-20:05) and Caroline Webb of Greenwich (82-20:19).
Girls Championship Race Results – Regional Qualifiers
1) Sydney Masciarelli Northbridge, Mass. Marianapolis Preparatory School (10) 17:12.6
2) Marlee Starliper Wellsville, Pa. Northern York High School (11) 17:17.5
3) Grace Connolly Natick, Mass. Natick High School (12) 17:27.6
4) Abby Loveys Mendham, N.J. Randolph High School (12) 17:49.4
5) Kate Wiser Southbury, Conn. Pomperaug High School (10) 17:52.8
6) Mary Hennelly Suffern, N.Y. Suffern High School (11) 18:07.6
7) Taryn Parks Greencastle, Pa. Greencastle-Antrim High School (11) 18:11.2
8) Sofie Matson Falmouth, Maine Falmouth High School (10) 18:11.3
9) Sarah Roffman Littleton, Mass. Littleton High School (12) 18:12.1
10) Nicole Vanasse Martinsville, N.J. The Pingry School (11) 18:16.4
The Boys Championship (Seeded) Race was highlighted by two state finishers in a race won by senior Jack Stanley of West Morris Mendham HS (NJ) in 15:30 over the 5k course. The pair of Connecticut finishers in the top ten who earned their trip to the Championship meet included Matthew Farrell of Glastonbury (Loomis Chaffee) in eighth place in 15:38 and Mustafe Dahir of Wallingford (Choate Rosemary Hall) in ninth place in 15:39. The pair improved significantly from their finish a year ago as Dahir was 20th in 16:17 and Farrell 21st in 16:21).
Both athletes now share finalist status with a former state athletes that include Brian McGovern of Fairfield Prep (’99-00), Ahmed Haji of Conard (’02-03), Donn Cabral of Glastonbury (’06-07), Alex Ostberg of Darien (’13-14) and Andrew Thompson of Fairfield Prep (’16-17), all who were 2-time finalists.
Matthew Farrell [white singlet-3rd from right) and Mustafe Dahir [red singlet-1st from left] finished 8th-9th (Photo by Ron Knapp, MySportsResults.com)
Other top Connecticut finishers in included Aiden Puffer of Manchester (17-16:04), Travis Martin of New Haven-Wilbur Cross (25-16:17), Trey Cormier of West Hartford-Hall (27-16:18), Robert Dillon of Shelton (37-16:27) and Eddie Nicholas of Woodbury-Nonnewaug (48-16:37).
Boys Championship Race Results – Regional Qualifiers
1. Jack Stanley Mendham, N.J. West Morris Mendham High School (12) 15:30.2
2) Lucas Aramburu Brookline, Mass. Brookline High School (12) 15:37.1
3) Connor Nisbet Wilmington, Del. Wilmington Friends School (12) 15:37.7
4) Liam Murphy Millstone, N.J. Allentown High School (11) 15:38.2
5) Devin Hart Point Pleasant, N.J. Point Pleasant Borough High School (12) 15:38.4
6) Patrick Anderson Pittsburgh, Pa. Mt. Lebanon High School (11) 15:38.6
7) Samuel Lawler Pittsford, N.Y. Pittsford Mendon High School (11) 15:38.6
8) Matthew Farrell Glastonbury, Conn. The Loomis Chaffee School (11) 15:38.7
9) Mustafe Dahir Wallingford, Conn. Choate Rosemary Hall (12) 15:39.1
10) Richard Sturtevant Leyden, Mass. Northfield Mount Hermon (12) 15:41.3
In other high school races on the 5km course, top state finishers included:
· Boys Freshman Race: Callum Sherry of West Hartford-Conard placed second in 17:05 with Jack Martin of Avon (6th-17:42) and Brendan DiStefano of Ridgefield (7th-17:44).
· Girls Freshman Race: Jordan Stein of Fairfield placed 12th in 20:41.
· Boys Sophomore Race: Nicholas Bendsten of Wolcott placed first in 16:43.
· Girls Sophomore Race: Samantha Ruggerio of New Fairfield placed 12th in 20:56.
· Boys Junior Race: Jackson Grady of West Hartford-Hall placed third in 17:08
· Girls Junior Race: Tess Pisanelli of Ridgefield placed first in 19:43 as Natalie Schaumburger of West Harford-Hall placed 12th in 21:01.
· Boys Senior Race: Edward Tristine of Monroe-Fairfield Prep finished first in 16:46.
· Girls Senior Race: Elizabeth DeMassa of Ridgefield finished 13th in 21:37.
The complete meet results are available for the Foot Locker NE Regional Championships on the Results page sponsored by soundRUNNER stores in Branford, Fairfield, Glastonbury and Old Saybrook. The meet was held at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx-New York City on Saturday November 24, 2018.
NOTE: MySportsResults.com publishes the results received/posted from meet directors and timing companies. If you don't see your results or if you think that the results are incorrect then ask your local coach to contact the meet director to send us the corrected meet results. Do not send an email to MySportsResults asking to correct the posted results.