Connecticut athletes who qualified at the recent State Open Championship on Monday traveled to Durham NH for the 73rd Interscholastic New England Outdoor Track and Field Championship to achieve event titles as well as All-New England honors on Saturday. All New England honors were awarded to athletes who finished in one of the first six places in an event.
State athletes who earned New England Championship titles and All-New England honors on the track included:
· The Girls 4x800m Relay title was won by the Greenwich team of Kate Ragone, Hetty McMillan, Zoe Harris and Emily Philippedes in 9:17.41 while Immaculate placed sixth (9:26.03).
· The Boys 4x800m Relay featured a second place b Xavier in 7:56.22 behind East Greenwich RI in 7:46.37 followed by Ridgefield in third (7:59.65) and Staples in sixth (8:00.75).
· Katherine Jacobs of NW Catholic scored a win in the finals of the Girls 100m Hurdles in 14.84 as Kalli’Ana Botelho of Griswold placed fourth (14.93).
· Nicholas Pronovost of Coventry was the state’s top finisher in the Boys 110m Hurdles finals in third at 14.87 followed by Edward Williams of Sacred Heart in third (14.93) and Cameron Whalen of Stonington in fifth (15.02). The event was won by Billy Powers of Winnacunnet NH in 14.25.
· Terry Miller of Bulkeley finished first in the 100m Dash (11.97) as Tia Marie Brown of Windsor (12.56) and Bridget Lalonde of RHAM (12.56) earned fifth and sixth respectively. Miller returned to finish first in the 200m Dash (24.43) as Bridget Lalonde took third (25.32), Erica Marriott of North Haven fifth (25.42) and Aisha Gay of Hamden sixth (25.62).
· Leon Campbell of Hartford Public placed fifth in the Boys 100m Dash in 11.14 trailing winner Richmond Kwaateng of Lowell MA in 10.93. In the Boys 200m Dash, Samuel Agyei of Metropolitan Learning Center finished fifth in 22.36 with Leon Campbell placed sixth in 22.44 behind winter Jon Caouette of Oakmont MA in 21.95.
· Lauren Moore of Danbury earned a victory in the Girls 1600m Run in 4:59.68 as Kate Hedlund of Manchester placed third in 5:04.87.
· William Landowne of Staples led a 1-2-3 finish in the Boys 1600m Run in 4:14.58 as he was closely followed by Alexander Korczynski of Windham (4:14.70) and Alexander Mocarski of Fairfield Warde (4:14.96).
· The Windsor Girls 4x100m Relay team of Cori Richardson, Tia Marie Brown, Camille McHenry and Shavanice Green took home silver medals with a time of 48.90 while the East Hartford team placed sixth (49.49).
· The Torrington Boys 4x100m Relay team placed third in 42.68 behind winning time of 42.36 by Shrewsbury MA as Bristol Central was fourth (42.81) and East Hartford sixth (42.93).
· Jillian Mars of Bloomfield won the Girls 400m Dash in 56.25.
· Jevin Frett of Manchester won the gold medal in the Boys 400m Dash in 48.62 as Andre Valentine of Hartford Public placed third (49.26) and Glenroy Ford of Danbury placed sixth (50.37).
· Senior Emily Philippedes of Greenwich finished a close second in the Girls 800m Run in 2:11.78 behind winner Nikki Merrill of Portsmouth RI in 2:11.52.
· Ken Little of Derby led a 1-2-4-5 state finish in the Boys 800m Run in a time of 1:53.06 followed by Miller Anderson of Hall (1:53.47), Ian Bartlett of Fairfield Ludlowe (1:53.85) and Joe Pearl of Manchester (1:54.27).
· Kalli’Ana Botelho of Griswold led a 1-2-4 state finish in the Girls 300m Hurdles in 44.19 followed by Sophia Podeszwa of Waterford (44.94) and Emma Langis of Ridgefield (45.68).
· Marcus Manson of Windsor placed second in the Boys 300m Hurdles in 38.77 behind the winning time of 38.67 by defending champion Billy Powers of Winnacunnet NH. Aren Seeger of Naugatuck placed fourth (39.30).
· Elizabeth Stockman of Rocky Hill opened an early lead then cruised to the gold medal in the Girls 3200m Run in 10:44.99 as Kylie Raymond of Somers placed third (11:00.13), Katherine Wiser of Pomperaug in fifth (11:05.41) and Meredith Bloss of Guilford in sixth (11:08.75).
· Alexander Korczynski of Windham placed third in 9:26.87 and Brendan Murray of Cheshire placed fifth in 9:27.56 in the Boys 3200m Run won by defending champion Andrew Mah of Newton North MA in 9:16.97.
· The Bloomfield Girls 4x400m Relay team lead a state sweep of the first five places in a time of 3:57.46 with the team of Jahleah Harris, Jahlia Banton, Jillian Mars and Jayden Gibson. They were followed by Hamden (4:00.08), Windsor (4:00.86), Greenwich (4:01.06) and Ridgefield (4:01.58).
· The Manchester Boys 4x400m Relay team of Jevin Frett, Joe Pearl, Willy Joyner and Shawn Akomeah ended the meet with a victory in 3:21.85 as they were followed by Danbury (second - 3:25.07), Ridgefield in fourth (3:26.13) and New Milford in sixth (3:26.74).
State athletes who earned New England Champion titles and All-New England honors in the field included:
· State Open Pole Vault champion Megan Biscoglio of Southington won top honors after clearing 12-03 as Tyra Finkeldey of Old Saybrook placed second (11-03) , Paige Martin of NFA fourth (10-09) and Elise Russell of Weston sixth (10-09).
· Nathaniel Llanos of Danbury placed fourth in the Boys Pole Vault at 14-03 as Travis Synder of Thornton Academy ME cleared 15-09 for the win.
· State athletes who finished 2-3-4 in the Girls High Jump behind winner Nyagoa Bayak of Westbook ME at 5-11 included Allyson Lewis of NFA (5-9), Patricia Mroczkowski of Berlin (5-7) and Monique Anderson of Bloomfield (5-5).
· The Boys High Jump won by Augustus Karweh of Central RI at 6-07 included a fourth-place finish by Matthew Santy of Enfield also at 6-07.
· Rachel Fleischer of Derby leaped 38-11.50 for the Girls Triple Jump title as Kristen Washington of Hillhouse placed fifth (36-11).
· Sean Dixon-Bodie of Bloomfield placed fourth in the Boys Triple Jump (46-08) behind winner Cayden Spencer-Thompson of Mattanawcook ME at 48-03.75.
· The Girls Long Jump won by Jada Johnson of Sharon MA at 18-07.25 featured a second place by Erica Marriott of North Haven in 18-05.75, a fifth by Olivia Bowes of Hall (18-02) and a sixth by Hannah Ceva of Joel Barlow (17-10.75).
· Dyshon Vaughn of Career Magnet placed second in the Boys Long Jump with a leap of 23-07.25 as Cayden Spencer-Thompson of Mattanawcook ME won with a mark of 24-01.75. Nicholas Pronovost of Coventry placed sixth (22-07).
· Defending champion Amanda Howe of Southington scored a victory in the Girls Discus Throw with a toss of 141-09 as Danyelle Engels of Westbrook placed fifth (125-04). Howe also earned a fourth-place finish in the Shot Put with a mark of 40-11.50 behind winner Molly McCreedy of U-32 VT at 45-08.25.
· In the Boys Shot Put, Michael Browning of RHAM placed fifth (54-10) and Nathan Quaye of Manchester placed sixth (54-09.75) behind the winning mark of 59-02.50 by Jason Montano of Thornton Academy ME.
· Brian Jalowiec of Derby earned a silver medal in the Boys Discus Throw with a mark of 164-09 behind winner Jacob McClusky of Brewer ME (168-01). Jalowiec also placed fifth in the Boys Javelin Throw (176-00) and Dylan Drescher of Middletown placed sixth as John King of Pinkerton NH won with a toss of 189-04.
The complete meet results are available for the 73rd Interscholastic New England Outdoor TF Championship on the Results page sponsored by soundRUNNER Team Nights with stores in Branford, Fairfield, Glastonbury and Old Saybrook. The meet was held at the Wildcat Stadium at the University of New Hampshire in Durham NH on Saturday, June 9, 2018.