The 90-degree temperatures and sunny skies added another challenge to the competitors at the CIAC Class L Outdoor Track and Field Championship meet at Middletown High School in Middletown CT on Tuesday. As the meet concluded under cooler evening temperatures, the Windsor Girls and Hall Boys teams emerged with the team title championship plaques. The Windsor Girls scored 92 points over runner-up Hall with 68 points while the Hall Boys team edged defending champion Middletown by a 73 to 66 points margin.
Windsor Girls Team – Photograph courtesy of Coach Celeste Over
Hall Boys Team Photo– Ron Knapp, MySportsResults.com
The Windsor Girls team earned their sixth team title as they returned to the top of the CIAC Class L Outdoor Track and Field Girls Championship meet with previous titles in 2010, ’11, ’12, ’13 and ’16. Windsor garnered 92 points to withstand a determined effort by runner-up Hall with 68 points followed by defending champion Simsbury with 66 points, Pomperaug with 60 points and fifth place Conard with 46 points.
Windsor relied on their cadre of sprinters as they swept the top 3 places in the 100m Dash with Tia Marie Brown leading the way in 12.34 with Cori Richardson and Camille McHenry close behind. The trio started the meet, combined with Shavanice Green, to win the 4x100m Relay in 48.62. Brown returned in the 400m Dash to win in 58.80 with Jalah Cooper in third place while McHenry won the 200m Dash in 25.29 with Richardson in second place. The Windsor 4x800m Relay team started the meet with a third-place finish and their 4x400m relay quartet of Jalah Cooper, Madison Alexis, Rebecca Samuel and Taylor Allen ended the meet with a victory in 4:04.28.
The 3200m Run featured an exciting duel between freshman Katherine Wiser of Pomperaug and senior Morgan McCormack of Wilton with Wiser winning in a meet record time of 10:44.40 to 10:53.20 for McCormack. Wiser bested the former meet record of 10:45.92 set by Sarah Mattison of Simsbury in 2014.
More top performers in the CIAC Class L Girls Outdoor Track and Field Championship included:
· The Hall Girls 4x800m relay team of Mia Healer, Rose Kitz, Emily Cubbage and Jenna Zydanowicz combined for the win in 9:49.91 over runner-up Simsbury.
· Jacqueline Guerra of Guilford won the 1600m Run in 5:12.94 as she broke away on the last lap from the runner-up Dagny Edwards of Simsbury and third place finisher Liana Eisler of Conard.
· Lissandra Marshall of Pomperaug sped to victory in the 100m Hurdles in 15.54.
· Isabella Azar-Brandes of Pomperaug joined her teammate by winning the 300m Hurdles in 46.02.
· In the 800m Run, Elsa Martin of Simsbury won in 2:22.39.
· Junior Oliva Bowes of Hall was a double event winner as she set a personal record in the Long Jump with a leap of 18-00 and another personal record in the Triple Jump with a mark of 35-06.
· Shy-Ann Whitten of Bristol Central cleared 5-02 to take home the gold medal in the High Jump.
· Erin Naclerio of Daniel Hand and Haley Jaquith of EO Smith both cleared 9-06 in the Pole Vault with Naclerio winning by clearing the height on her first attempt.
· Andriska Mickle of Kennedy took home the gold medal in the Shot Put with a mark of 34-03.25.
· Veronica Meyer of Middletown was another double event winner as she took top honors in the Discus Throw with a toss of 121-11 and the Javelin Throw with a distance of 118-09, both personal records.
The Hall Boys team of West Hartford added their first CIAC Class L Boys Outdoor Track and Field Championship team title to the recent Class L Indoor Championship title as they scored 73 points to edge defending champion Middletown with 66 points, third place Bristol Central with 63.50 points, fourth place New Milford with 62 points and fifth place Hartford Public with 45 points.
Although the Hall Boys team trailed by a point entering the final event of the meet, the 4x400m Relay, they secured the team title by taking a close second place in 3:25.45 to the first-place time of 3:25.01 by New Milford. The team of Naji Middletown, Jason Farrell Jr, Muhammad Ali and Miller Anderson didn’t have to worry about Middletown since they didn’t’ have a team entered in the event. Hall had started the meet with first place points in the 4x800m Relay with a time of 8:09.49 with the team of Cole Canarie, Dylan Rendon, Muhammad Ali and Miller Anderson. The only other first place points came from Trey Cormier in the 1600m Run in a time of 4:24.19 who later added a fourth place in the 3200m Run. More key points came from second and third place in the 800m Run by Miller Anderson and Muhammad Ali, a third place by Darrell Mickey Jr in the Triple Jump and a fourth place by Joseph Morin in the 200m Dash.
More top performers in the CIAC Class L Boys Outdoor Track and Field Championship included:
· The Hartford Public 4x100m Relay team of Andre Valentine, Leon Campbell, Zinodene Stewart and Macolm Grate sped to victory in a season best 42.34.
· Aren Seeger of Naugatuck ran a personal record of 14.90 to win the 110m Hurdles.
· Leon Campbell of Hartford Public earned two more gold medals as he won the 100m Dash final in 10.96 to equal his personal record and sped to a time of 22.15 in the 200m Dash.
· Andre Valentine of Hartford Public edged Christopher Colbert of Wilton, 49.13 to 49.23 to win the 400m Dash.
· Marcus Manson of Windsor sped to a near meet record in the 300m Hurdles with a time of 38.80.
· Ian Bartlett of Fairfield Ludlowe defended his 800m Run title from last year with a 1:55.51 effort to edge runner-up Miller Anderson of Hall at 1:55.57.
· Eli Nahom of New Milford pulled away in the final laps of the 3200m Run to win in 9:33.28.
· The New Milford 4x400m Relay quartet of Michael Tarby, Luke Chastain, Chase Schuster and Charles Osborne earned their gold medals with a time of 3:25.01.
· Defending champion DeAaron Lawrence of Middletown led a 1-2 sweep in the High Jump with a height of 6-02 with teammate Anthony Papa at 6-00.
Lawrence gained another gold medal in the Triple Jump with a mark of 42-08.
· Nick Petruzzelli of Notre Dame-West Haven cleared 14-00 in the Pole Vault to win by a foot over runner-up Zachary Koslosky of Naugatuck.
· Dathan Hickey of Bristol Central leaped 22-06.75 for victory in the Long Jump.
· Jonathan Prell of Simsbury won the Shot Put with a toss of 48-04.75.
· The Discus Throw was won by Bernardo Mbaya of Crosby with a mark of 158-01.
· Dylan Drescher of Middletown had a personal record toss of 172-02 in the Javelin Throw to earn a gold medal.
The complete meet results are available for the CIAC Class L Outdoor Track & Field Championship on the Results page sponsored by soundRUNNER Team Nights with stores in Branford, Fairfield, Glastonbury and Old Saybrook.
Personal records are based on athlete performances in meet results listed in the Athletic.net service.