(updated 3/8/2018) The competition Saturday at the 31st New England Interscholastic Indoor Track & Field Championship featured event victories by Connecticut athletes in several events while many other state athletes attained All-New England honors by finishing in one of the top six places in the meet. In the meet held at the Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Center, Roxbury Community College in Boston MA the following athletes won first place honors:
· In the Girls 4x800m Relay, the Glastonbury quartet of Kaylen Hughes, Angela Braga, Grace Sparrow and Erin McGill combined to win in their season best time of 9:13.63 that led a 1-2-3-4 by state teams as Greenwich placed next in 9:19.62 followed by Immaculate (9:27.74) and Fairfield Ludlowe (9:30.43).
· The William Hall Boys 4x800m relay team followed with their own victory in a season best time of 7:58.69 with the squad of Muhamad Ali (2:00.5), Cole Canarie (2:02.7), Dylan Rendon (1:59.4) and Miller Anderson (1:55.7). Xavier placed third in a season best time of 8:03.11.
· Senior Emily Philippedes of Greenwich sped by the early leaders on the final lap of the Girls 1000m Run to take gold in 2:51.30 to improve on her runner-up finish last year.
· The Boys 600m Run featured a victory by junior Malcom Going of Danbury in a personal record time of 1:20.38. Marcus Manson of Windsor placed fourth in 1:20.92 to also obtain All-New England honors.
· The Boys 1-Mile Run was highlighted by a 1-2 finish by senior William Landowne of Staples in a personal record 4:12.49 as senior Alexander Korczynski of Windham followed in his personal record 4:14.81.
· The Boys Long Jump yielded another first place as senior Dyshon Vaughn of Career Magnet leaped 23’5” for the his fifth meet over the 23-foot mark. George Stoughton of Wethersfield leaped 21’9” for fifth place to also gain All-New England honors.
· The final track event provided another first place for Connecticut athletes as the Danbury 4x400m Relay team of Sean-Michael Parkinson, Glenroy Ford, Malachius Lorick and Malcom Going won heat 3 of 4 in 3:25.26 to outlast runner-up Newton North, winner of heat 4 in 3:25.27. Lyman Hall also earned All-New England honors with their sixth place finish in 3:28.92.
In the Girls Championship events, All-New England honors by state athletes included:
· In the 55m Dash, Dinedye Denis of Simsbury and Andraya Yearwood of Cromwell placed 2-3 in 7.27 and 7.30 respectively.
· The 55m Hurdles included a 2-3 finish by Kalli’Ana Botelho of Griswold (8.46) and Tess Stapleton of Fairfield Ludlowe (8.47) as well as a fifth place by Katherine Jacobs of NW Catholic (8.54).
· The 300m Dash featured another 2-3 finish by Aisha Gay of Hamden (39.71) and Dinedye Denis in 40.00.
· Two more All-New England honors were gained in the 600m Run by a fourth place by Emma Langis of Ridgefield in 1:35.71 and a sixth place by Leah Sarkisian of Danbury in 1:36.50.
· The 1-Mile Run yielded two more podium spots as Lauren Moore of Danbury placed fourth in 5:05.31 and Angela Saidman followed in fifth in 5:05.46.
· The 2-Mile Run featured a meet record time of 10:09.20 by Jacqueline Gauhan of Exeter MA as she was followed by runner-up Elizabeth Stockman of Rocky Hill in a personal record 10:31.84 and Meredith Bloss of Guilford in sixth at 11:06.06.
· Another meet record was set in the High Jump as Nyagoa Bayak of Westbrook ME cleared 5’10” as Monique Anderson of Bloomfield and Patricia Mroczkowski of Berlin both cleared 5’7” to earn third and fourth places.
· The Long Jump also featured two top places as Jahleah Harris of Bloomfield was second at 17’10.25” and Olivia Johnson of St. Joseph at 17’6.5”.
· The Shot Put included a runner-up finish by Amanda Howe of Southington with a toss of 43’5”.
· In the 4x200m Relay, Windsor placed second in 1:44.00 while Conard placed sixth in 1:46.13 to earn All-New England honors.
· The 4x400m Relay included season best times from third place Hamden in 3:56.05 and fifth place Plainfield in 4:01.43.
In the Boys Championship events, All-New England honors by state athletes included:
· The 55m Dash included a sixth place by Joel Stewart of Enfield in 6.56.
· The 55m Hurdles final include runner-up Cameron Whalen of Stonington in 7.66 and a fifth place by Edward Williams of Sacred Heart in 7.82.
· Christopher Colbert of Wilton secured a sixth place in the 600m Run in 35.33.
· The 1000m Run featured silver medalist Ian Bartlett of Fairfield Ludlowe in 2:28.72 with Ken Little of Derby in fourth at 2:31.32 and Joe Pearl of Manchester in sixth at 2:32.24.
· A meet record was set in the 2-Mile Run by Ryan Oosting of Arlington MA in 8:57.59 as runner-up Drew Thompson of Fairfield Prep finished with a personal record 9:07.59 and Trey Cormier of Hall placed sixth at 9:21.45 with a personal record.
· The High Jump included three top finishes with a 3-4 by Chet Ellis of Staples and Ja’kwan Hale of Derby at 6’5” and a sixth by George Stoughton of Wethersfield at 6’3”.
· The Shot Put resulted in a fourth place by Michael Browning of RHAM with a heave of 53’8”.
· The 4x200m Relay included a sixth place podium finish by Hartford Public with their time of 1:31.11.
The complete meet results are available from competition at the 31st New England Interscholastic Indoor Track & Field Championship on the MySportsResults.com Results page sponsored by soundRUNNER: Indoor Track Team Nights with stores in Branford, Fairfield, Glastonbury and Old Saybrook.