Tonight at the 2017 CIAC Class LL Indoor TF Championship Meet at Floyd Little Athletic Center in New Haven CT the Danbury Boys won their ninth team title for the Class meet that started in 2004 (9 of 14) while the Danbury Girls teams earned their second consecutive team title. With the sweep of the team titles this year, the Danbury Boys and Girls teams have now combined to sweep four Class LL titles that included 2004, 2009 and 2016.
The Danbury Boys team successfully defended their CIAC Class LL Boys Indoor Track and Field Championship title that brought their total to nine champion plaques by scoring 116 points as Greenwich was runner-up with 46 points and Shelton third with 44 points.
The run to their fourth consecutive team title was highlighted by a 1-2 sweep in the 300m Dash by Terrell Cunningham (36.42) and Sean-Michael Parkinson (36.64) as well as a victory in the Pole Vault by Nathaniel Llanos as he cleared a season best 13’0”. Danbury put the icing on their team title with a meet record time of 3:28.94 in the 4x400m Relay with the quartet of Sean-Michael Parkinson, Malcolm Going, Daniel Campbell and Terrell Cunningham. Staples had set the former record of 3:29.07 in 2011.
Important second place points came from efforts by the 4x200m Relay team (Malachius Lorick, Parkinson, Aaron Agosto, Edmond Olivacce), Chase Nalley in the 55m Hurdles, Cunningham in the 600m Run, the 1600m Sprint Medley Relay quartet (Agosto, Olivacce , Going, Campbell) and Daniel Nichols in the 3200m Run. The 55m Dash featured a windfall of 15 points as Agosto placed 2nd, Christopher Cleder 3rd and Lorick 6th. Also contributing were Tumani Edwards and Paul Wright as they finished 3-4 in the Long Jump.
More top performers in the CIAC Class LL Boys Indoor Track and Field Championship included:
· Safir Scott of Greenwich was a double event victor in the Long Jump (21’5.75”) and High Jump (6’2”).
· The Hamden 4x200m relay team of Kevin Antoine, Stanley Arrington Jr, Virgil Harrell III and Camron Fowlin won in a quick 1:32.43.
· The Glastonbury 4x800m relay quartet of Spencer LeClaire, Samuel Wilcox, Matthew Cosentino and Christopher Reeves took home gold in 8:17.44.
· Tyler Rubush of Trumbull scored a victory in the 1000m Run in 2:35.35.
· Tyler Gleen of Trumbull was golden in defense of his 600m Run title in a fast 1:21.41. Gleen also anchored the winning 1600m Sprint Medley Relay with teammates Colin McLevy, Nigel Hayes and Tyler Rubush in 3:38.40.
· Ethan Shuster of Shelton edged Chase Nalley of Danbury for victory in the 55m Hurdle final, 8.04 to 8.06.
· Tyler Farris of Greenwich was the fastest athlete in 55m Dash final in a time of 6.56
· Staples swept first two places in the 1600m Run as Zakeer Ahmad won in 4:23.50 followed by William Landowne at 4:23.81.
· William Brisman of Fairfield Warde took home gold in the 3200m Run in a time of 9:26.47.
· Edward Radzion of Shelton won the Shot Put with a personal record heave of 50’9”.
The Danbury Girls team earned their fifth CIAC Class LL Girls Indoor Track and Field Championship title with 64 points by a narrow margin as runner-up Glastonbury scored 61 points, third place Greenwich with 58 points and fourth place Ridgefield with 57.50 points.
The repeat of the team title was powered by two first place efforts from Bridget Chiaravalle in the final of the 55m Hurdles in a quick time of 8.44 and Leah Sarkisian in the 600m Run in a season best 1:37.91. Chiaravalle also scored a third place in the 55m Dash. Big points came from the 4x200m Relay of Chiaravalle, Zyniah Bunn, Natalee Seipio and Jessica Glowacki that placed second in a time of 1:47.18. Crucial points came from a sweep of 3-4-5 places in the Long Jump by Ruby Mboya, Emilly Souza and Erika Regus. The Danbury 4x400m placed second in 4:05.50 to finally secure the team title with the squad of Olivia Turk, Natalee Seipio, Cassandra Sturdevant and Sarkisian.
The only meet record was set in the 4x400m Relay by the Glastonbury quartet of Danielle Brinckman, Olivia Allen, Morocca Wiley and Erin McGill in a time of 4:02.43. Greenwich had set the previous record time of 4:03.60 in 2012.
More top performers in the CIAC Class LL Girls Indoor Track and Field Championship included:
· The 4x200m Relay was won by Hamden in 1:46.58 by the team of Aisha Gay, Nasia Norris, Taylor Hall and Andreya Gardner.
· The Glastonbury Girls 4x800m Relay team of Morocca Wiley, Kaylen Hughes, Olivia Allen and Erin McGill won gold medals in a time of 9:32.57.
· Samantha Stevens of Shelton defended her Shot Put title with toss of 41’7.5”.
· Emily Philippides of Greenwich sped to a win in the 1000m Run in 2:58.80
· Lia Zavattaro of Greenwich soared over 11’0” to win the Pole Vault on her 1st attempt to best Lauren Russo of Newtown at 11’0” on her 3rd attempt.
· The finals of the 55m Dash featured a rare dead heat tie for first place between Char’Nae Epps of West Haven & Penda M’Bengue of Norwalk in a time of 7.48.
· Elizabeth Lodge of Manchester won her third consecutive High Jump title by clearing 5’4”.
· Anna Landler of Ridgefield leaped 16’10.5 for the win in the Long Jump.
· Katelynn Romanchick of Trumbull won the 1600m Run in a close finish over Emily Philippides of Greenwich, 5:09.71 to 5:09.91.
· The Greenwich 1600m Sprint Medley team of Katherine Gallagher, Olivia DiLascia, Jordan Numme and Hetty McMillan won gold in 4:23.38.
· Aisha Gay of Hamden sped to a close win in the 300m Dash in 41.33 over Danielle Brickman of Glastonbury (41.55) and Elizabeth McMahon of Conard (41.66).
· Sarah Leatherwood of Fairfield Ludlowe finished first in the 3200m Run in 11:14.12.
The complete meet results are available for the CIAC Class LL Indoor Track & Field Championship Meet on the Results page sponsored by soundRUNNER of Branford, Fairfield, Glastonbury and Old Saybrook.
The meet results are also available as part of the performance lists at the Athletic.net Connecticut Track and Field Homepage for the 2017 Indoor Season.