On Tuesday night at the CIAC Class S Indoor Track and Field Championship meet at the Floyd Little Athletic Center in New Haven CT the Immaculate Boys team won their first title while the Bloomfield Girls team earned their eighth consecutive title, thirteenth overall and fifteenth all-time when accounting for their two Class M titles in '89 and '91.
The Immaculate Boys Team of Danbury earned their first CIAC Class S Boys Indoor Track and Field Championship by scoring 55 points as runner-up Coventry totaled 34 points and defending champion Bloomfield tied for third with Derby with 33 points. The Immaculate Boys team title was fueled by three event victories; Christian Morris in the 600m Run in 1:24.36, Sean Fahey in the Long Jump with a leap of 21’0.75” and their 4x400m Relay in 3:34.01 with the quartet of Morris, Dominick Curra, Matt Christe and Fahey. More crucial points came from a second place in the 4x800m Relay, 3rd and 6th places by Fahey and Curra in the 300m Dash, a 4th place by Curra in the Long Jump, a 5th place by Christe in the 600m Run, a 5th place in the 1600 Run by Connor McNerney and a 5th place in the 3200m Run by Patrick Cropsey.
More top performers in the CIAC Class S Boys Indoor Track and Field Championship, included:
· Senior Mark Doyley of Weaver was a double winner as he defended his title in the 55m Dash in a time of 6.42 and won the 300m Dash in 34.92.
· Senior Connor Ratte of Coventry won his third consecutive 1000m Run title in 2:36.28. Ratte also anchored their 1600m Sprint Medley Relay team in a winning time of 3:46.87 as he combined with Bryan Lamot, Luke Smart and Christopher Milne.
· Alexander Korczynski of Windham won the 1600m Run in 4:25.35 and placed second in the 3200m Run behind the winning time of 9:43.76 by Sean Parker of Shepaug Valley.
· Travis Baldwin of Valley Regional emerged as the winner in a crowded Pole Vault field as he cleared 12’6”.
· Travis Shashok of Windham took home the gold medal in the Shot Put with a personal best heave of 51’2.75”.
The Bloomfield Girls Team continued their dominance of the CIAC Class S Girls Indoor Track and Field Championship meet by scoring 127 points, as Immaculate was a distant second with 44 points and Old Saybrook third with 37 points. Similar to the meet last season, Bloomfield started their title pursuit with a meet record of 1:44.25 in the 4x200m Relay team of Zaidra James, Cheyenne Brown, Andrea Mills and Cassidy Palmer that lowered the mark of 1:45.31 set last year. A second meet record was set in the Shot Put as Brittany Jones defended her title with a toss of 43’0.50” that reset the long-standing record of 42’2” made by Diane Potkay of Derby in 1996. Cassidy Palmer continued the assault on meet records as she lowered another established mark in the 55m Dash with a winning time of 7.03. Shayla Wallace of NW Catholic had set the former record time of 7.08 in 1996.
More event victories came from Jillian Mars in the 600m Run (1:40.42), Zaidra Jones in the 55m Hurdles (8.55), Cassidy Palmer in the 300m Dash (41.42), Jahleah Harris in the Long Jump (17’4.25”) and their 4x400m Relay of Harris, Mills, Monique Anderson and Mars (4:09.66).
More top performers in the CIAC Class S Girls Indoor Track and Field Championship, included:
· Sophomore Emily Sienna of Hale Ray won both the 1660m Run in 5:17.05 and the 3200m Run in 11:35.22. She also placed second in the 1000m Run.
· Alexandra Alsup of Coginchaug won the 1000m Run in 3:00.44.
· Kalli'Ana Botelho of Griswold placed first in the High Jump by clearing 5’4”.
· Tyra Finkeldey of Old Saybrook soared over 10’6” to claim the gold medal in the Pole Vault.
· The Plainfield team of Alexis St Jean, Nevelle Viard, Kate Carleson and Cassandra Carleson combined to win the 1600m Sprint Medley Relay in 4:22.65.
· The 4x800m Relay was won in a time of 10:11.77 by the Old Saybrook quartet of Allison Bruehwiler, Grace Hanratty, Jael Givehand and Jessica Stratton.
The complete meet results are available for the CIAC Class S Indoor Track & Field Championship Meet on the Results page sponsored by soundRUNNER of Branford, Fairfield, Glastonbury and Old Saybrook.
The meet results are also available as part of the performance lists at the Athletic.net Connecticut Track and Field Homepage for the 2017 Indoor Season.