The Hillhouse Boys and Tolland Girls teams brushed off effects of delayed meets due to recent snowstorms to win team titles again at the CIAC Class M Indoor Track and Field Championships at the Floyd Little Athletic Center in New Haven CT. The Hillhouse Boys team won their ninth Class M title and eighteenth overall when combined with their ten Class L titles while the Tolland Girls team won their fourth consecutive Class M Indoor title.
The Hillhouse Boys team took their third consecutive CIAC Class M Boys Indoor Track and Field Championship team title in a tight duel with Weston by a slim margin of 56.83 to 54.33 points. Joel Barlow finished in third place with 40.50 points. Hillhouse started the meet on a positive note as they both the 4x200m Relay (1:34.06) and the 4x800m Relay (8:24.65). They would then add a third place finish in the 1600m Sprint Medley Relay. The lone individual victory came from Manasseh Bekele in the 600m Run as he finished in 1:24.36. Hillhouse completed their scoring with a second place finish in the 4x400m Relay (3:33.85) behind the winning time of 3:31.61 by Weston.
More top performers in the CIAC Class M Boys Indoor Track and Field Championship included:
· Senior Herman Winston of Ledyard scored two gold medals as he won the 55m Dash in 6.51 and the 300m Dash in 36.44
· Mike Bortolot of Joel Barlow was a double winner in the 1600m Run (4:32.08) and the 3200m Run (10:07.28).
· Senior Josh Bedard of Tolland successfully defended his 1000m Run title with a time of 2:35.06
· Dmitri Van Duine of Stonington won the Shot Put with a personal best heave of 48’4.25”.
· Milan Spisek of Joel Barlow cleared 14’0” in the Pole Vault to defend his title from last season.
The Tolland Girls team added to their string of team titles by winning another CIAC Class M Girls Indoor Track and Field Championship after a back and forth duel with runner-up Hillhouse. Tolland used scored 79 points to edge Hillhouse with 71 points and third place Weston with 37 points. Senior AmyErin Zadroga provided a highlight performance as she soared to a Meet and personal record in the Pole Vault with a height of 12’0”. She had set the old standard of 10’8” last season. Katherine Deloreto led a 1-2 sweep in the 1000m Run as she won for the third year in a row in 2:58.81 as Michaela Caron followed in 3:07.60. Tolland also took first place in the 1600m Sprint Medley Relay in 4:21.17 and second place in the 4x400m Relay in 4:11.07 behind the Hillhouse winning time of 4:08.91. The greatest number of points came in the 3200m Run with a 1-3-5 finish by Hayley Collins in 11:13.93, Michaela Caron (12:03.91) and Sidney Perryman (12:10.05).
More top performers in the CIAC Class M Girls Indoor Track and Field Championship included:
· Kiara Smith of Jonathan Law scored double victories in the Long Jump (17’1.75”) and the 55m Dash in 7.29 where she edged Vanessa Reimer of Berlin by .008.
· Freshman Wynter Williams of Hillhouse won the 300m Dash in 42.47 and was the lead off leg on the winning 4x400m Relay team.
· Lauryn Gause of Brookfield defended her Shot Put title with a winning toss of 38”1.5”.
The complete meet results are available for the CIAC Class M Indoor Track & Field Championship Meet on the Results page sponsored by soundRUNNER of Branford, Fairfield, Glastonbury and Old Saybrook.
The meet results are also available as part of the performance lists at the Athletic.net Connecticut Track and Field Homepage for the 2017 Indoor Season.