In the first of four meets last Saturday of the often rescheduled 2017 CIAC Indoor Track and Field Class Championships, the Hall Boys team prevailed in the final event to win their second Class L Indoor Boys Team Championship while the Windsor Girls successfully defended their team title for a total of four Class L Indoor Girls titles.
In the CIAC Class L Boys Indoor Track and Field Championship at the Floyd Little Athletic Center in New Haven, the Hall Boys team of West Hartford added their second team title to the first won in 1955 in an exciting fashion with a come-from-behind win in the final event, the 4x400m Relay. Hall scored 50 points to defeat runner-up Middletown with 48 points and third place Windsor with 43 points.
Trailing Middletown by 8 points heading into the final event, Hall started in the final heat needing to win the event to win the meet as Middletown had already run in a previous heat and was not going to score any more points. Hall trailed at each exchange (Jason Farrell Jr, Sovannarith Touch and Joshua Rivera) in a close race with Bristol Central and Daniel Hand. On the last lap, senior co-captain Connor Blodgett finally made his move to the front as he dueled for the lead with Bristol Central. Blodgett finished with an extended lean to secure victory in 3:34.11 to 3:34.15 for Bristol Central.
Let us know if you like videos of each exchange and the finish of this race at EZ Meet Results on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/EZMeetResults/videos/
Although Hall scored in five other events including a 3rd place in the 4x200m Relay, a 2nd place in the 4x800m Relay and a 4th place in the 1600m Sprint Medley Relay, the most points came in the 1600m Run as Patrick Cassidy placed 2nd (4:35.46), Dylan Rendan 4th and Miller Anderson 5th. Trey Cormier also gained important points from a 2nd place finish in the 3200m Run (9:46.38) behind winner Herlandt Lino of New Milford in 9:42.99.
More top performers in the CIAC Class L Boys Indoor Track and Field Championship included:
· Aaron Breene of Wilton as he won both the 1000m Run (2:35.72) and the 1600m Run (4:34.47)
· Deshaun Bradshaw of Middletown led a 1-2 sweep in the 100m Dash in 6.56 followed by Garrett Dandridge in 6.69
· Terence Cook of Simsbury cleared 14’6” in fewer attempts than Devon McShane of Daniel Hand to win the Pole Vault.
· Jason Pinnock of Windsor leaped 21’9” to win the Long Jump.
· Laurenzo Thompkins of Middletown sped to a 7.74 time to win the 55m Hurdles.
· Brothers Jack and Will Conley of New Canaan made a 1-2 sweep in the Shot Put as Jack won with a toss of 48’1.25”
The Windsor Girls team continued winning ways as the best team at the CIAC Class L Girls Indoor Track and Field Championship meet for the second consecutive year in scoring 59 points to defeat runner-up New Milford with 36 pts and North Haven with 34 points. The Windsor Girls team won their fourth team title in addition to their previous victories in 2016, 2011 and 2012 in competition that started in 1989. Windsor won 3 of 4 relays including the 4x200m (1:46.98), the 1600m Sprint Medley (4:23.72) and the 4x400m (4:12.38). Individual event contributors include a 2-3 finish in the 600m Run by Rebecca Samuel and Grace Strauch as they followed winner Leah Rivers of Wilbur Cross in 1:39.00.
More top performers in the CIAC Class L Girls Indoor Track and Field Championship included:
· Caroline O’Neil of Daniel Hand was a double winner in 55m Dash (7.27) and the 300m Dash (40.56).
· Mia Nahom of New Milford also took home 2 gold medals in the 1000m Run (3:05.34) and the 1600m Run (5:07.47).
· Morgan McCormick of Wilton won the 3200m Run in a personal best and school record time of 11:00.49.
· Vickie Milledge of Simsbury placed first in the 55m Hurdles in a time of 8.46.
The complete meet results are available for the CIAC Class L Indoor Track & Field Championship Meet on the Results page sponsored by soundRUNNER of Branford, Fairfield, Glastonbury and Old Saybrook.
Let us know if you like videos and photos at EZ Meet Results on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/EZMeetResults