In the final day of competition in Championship events on Sunday at the 2016 New Balance Nationals Outdoor Championship, the Wethersfield Boys 800m SMR and Ridgefield Boys DMR teams took the top places while several state athletes attained All-American honors with their finish in the one of the first six places in individual and relay events.
· The Boys 800m Sprint Medley Championship was highlighted by a gold medal effort from the Wethersfield team of Jae-Quan Brown, Chris Manousos, Pat Hurley and Elijah Young as they combined for a time of 1:30.80. The Danbury team finished in eighth in 1:32.70 followed by Bloomfield (15th-1:33.41), Shelton (22nd-1:34.36), Northwest Catholic (23rd-1:34.47), Classical Magnet Hartford (24th-1:34.49), New Canaan (49th-1:37.51), Seymour (51st-1:37.84) and Greenwich (52nd-1:38.29).
· The third Connecticut gold medal performance of the meet came in the Boys Distance Medley Championship from the Ridgefield team of Ian Mickool (1200m-3:08.29), Jeffrey Storm (400m-50.16), Kenny Day (800m-1:57.10) and Gabriel Altopp (1600m-4:06.77) as they pooled their efforts for a winning time of 10:02.34.
· The Girls 800m Sprint Medley Championship produced a runner-up performance by the Windsor team of Kenya Warner, Erika Hightower, Jiana Baker and Sashana Hinds as they sped to a time of 1:42.96 behind the winning time of 1:41.85 by the South Dade Express TC FL team. Other state team finishes included Danbury B (15th-1:48.02), Bloomfield (26th-1:50.09), Hamden (27th-1:50.12), Northwest Catholic (33rd-1:50.66), Ridgefield (41st-1:51.47), Greenwich B (47th-1:51.98), Danbury C (54th-1:53.18), Greenwich A (57th-1:53.50), Danbury A (65th-1:54.32) and Trumbull (68th-1:55.57).
· In the Girls Distance Medley Championship, the Tolland quartet of Katherine DeLoreto, Karissa Laramie, Julia Sprout and Caitlin Swanson earned All-American honors with their fourth place finish in 11:51.52 behind the winning time of 11:29.39 by the North Rockland TC NY team. The New Milford team placed seventh in 12:10.05 followed by the Immaculate Danbury team in eighth in 12:12.09.
· The Boys 1 Mile Run Championship featured a 3-4 finish by Zakeer Ahmad of Staples Westport in 4:12.53 and Randy Neish of Glastonbury 4:12.74 as they closely trailed winner Tim Bason of West Windsor NJ in 4:11.89 and runner-up Waleed Suliman of Richmond VA in 4:12.24. Armstrong Noonan of Darien finished 12th in 4:16.44.
· The finals of the Boys 4x100m Relay Championship produced All-American honors for two state teams as the Bloomfield team of Maurice Savage, Zaheem Anderson, Thomas Norman and Russell Thompson-Bishop placed third in 41.61 while the Windsor squad of Eric Foster, Tyler Coyle 16, Kyshawn Bonner and Tim Epps placed sixth in 41.83 in the race won by the Archbishop Carroll Tc-DC team in 40.39.
· Elijah Young of Wethersfield placed sixth in the Boys 400m Run Championship in a time of 47.28 as Tyrese Cooper of Miami Gardens FL won in 45.69.
In other Championship events held on Sunday at the NC A&T Irwin Belk Track at North Carolina A&T University in Greensboro, NC, state athlete performances included:
· Mark Doyley, Weaver, Hartford placed 7th in 21.34 in the finals of the Boys 200m Dash Championship.
· Tyler Gleen of Shelton finished Boys 800m Run Championship in 12th place in a time of 1:52.29 behind the winning time of 1:49.36 by Frank Hayes of Toledo OH.
· Jessica Drop of Coginchaug-Durham ran 4:52.99 to place 11th in the Girls 1 Mile Run Championship behind winner Micaela DeGenero of Granville OH in 4:42.22.
· Gabby Curtis of Wilbur Cross New Haven finished in 16th place with a time of 1:01.77 in the Girls 400m Hurdles Championship as Sydney McLaughlin of Dunellen NJ won in 54.46.
· In the final heat of the Girls 4x100m Relay Championship, Windsor finished seventh with a time of 47.71 as the War TC VA team place first in 45.08.
· Danbury placed 23rd in the Boys 4x400M Relay Championship in a time of 3:22.31 behind the winning time of 3:10.93 by the Huntington Tc-NY team.
· Wilbur Cross New Haven placed ninth in the Girls 4x400M Relay Championship with their time of 3:50.48 as War TC VA won in 3:38.05.
· In the Boys 4x1 Mile Relay Championship, the Danbury team placed 22nd in 18:40.44 as the Ogden TC-UT team placed first in 17:04.55.
· Olivia Sullivan of Green Farms Academy placed 12th in the Girls High Jump Championship with a mark of 5’6” behind winner Jelena Rowe of Suak Village IL who cleared 5’10”.
· Zaheem Anderson of Bloomfield placed 34th in the Boys Long Jump Championship with a mark of 20’8.5” as Rayvon Grey of Wappingers Falls NY won with a leap of 24’3.5”.
· Brittany Jones of Bloomfield finished in 24th place in the Girls Shot Put Championship with a mark of 37’9.5” behind the winning toss of 55’9.25” by Alyssa Wilson of Jackson NJ.
· Geoff Kirk of Avon placed 30th in the Boys Discus Throw Championship with a mark of 142’3” as Connor Bandel of Ortonville, MI won with a toss of 202’7”.
· The Girls Hammer Throw Championship won by Jill Shippee of Clifton Park NJ with a toss of 181’2” included a 22nd place finish by Brittany Jones of Bloomfield (140’10”), a 23rd place by teammate Erica Belvit (140’2”) and a 30th place by Amanda Howe of Southington (133’4”).
The complete results from the 2016 New Balance Nationals Outdoor Championship are now available on the Results page sponsored by soundRUNNER of Branford, Fairfield, Glastonbury and Old Saybrook. The meet was held on June 17,18,19, 2016 at the NC A&T Irwin Belk Track at North Carolina A&T University in Greensboro, NC.
Visit New Balance Nationals Outdoor website for more news.