The 71st Annual New England Interscholastic Track and Field Championships returned to Connecticut today where state athletes prevailed under a variety of weather conditions including rain to gain top honors on the track and in the field at Veterans’ Stadium in Willowbrook Park in New Britain CT.
In the final track event of the meet, the Wilbur Cross Girls 4x400m Relay team of Leah Rivers, Danae Rivers, Erica Snape and Gabrielle Curtis sped to the only meet record in a time of 3:49.06 to eclipse the former mark of 3:50.04 set by Mansfield MA in 2009. Windsor placed second in 3:53.53 while Glastonbury placed fifth in 3:58.68.
Gold medal performances by Connecticut athletes included:
· Junior Mark Doyley of Weaver gained his first 100m Dash title in a time of 10.82 as Kyshawn Bonner of Windsor followed in 10.98 for third place. Doyley returned to defend his Boys 200m Dash title with a winning time of 21.60 as Jeven Frett of Manchester finished third in 21.98.
· The Danbury Boys 4x800m team defended their title from last year as Jake Roberts, Tim Moore, Jack Adamski and Terrell Cunningham combined for a time of 7:49.30. Hamden placed fourth in 7:53.80 while Amity placed fifth in 7:54.38.
· In the Girls 100m Hurdle finals, Bridget Chiaravalle of Danbury led a 1-2-3-4 sweep by state athletes with a winning time of 14.49. She was followed by Gabrielle Curtis of Wilbur Cross (14.61), Jada Harris of St Jospeh (14.94) and Vickie Milledge of Simsbury in 15.04.
· Senior Eric van der Els of Brien McMahon led a talented group of three other finishers across the line under the 4:13 mark with a winning time of 4:12.47. Teammate Ajax Diamandis placed sixth in 4:18.34.
· The Bloomfield Boys 4x100m Relay quartet of Maurice Savage, Zaheem Anderson, Thomas Norman and Russell Thompson-Bishop won in 42.25 to lead a 1-2-3 state sweep of the sprint relay. Wethersfield placed second in 42.65 followed by Windsor in 42.69. Danbury placed sixth in 43.70.
· Another 1-2-3 state finish occurred in the Girls 4x100m Relay as the Bloomfield Girls team of Adia Cavalier, Zaidra James, Andrea Mills and Erica Belvit won in 48.60 followed by Manchester in 49.16 and Danbury in 49.66.
· Keyion Dixon of Glastonbury earned the win in 39.14 in the Boys 300m Hurdles as Xavier Amos of Farmington placed third in 39.29 and John Witik of Lyman Hall placed 4th in 39.55.
· Elizabeth Lodge of Manchester won the Girls High Jump after clearing 5’5” while Kelly Ward of Oxford place fifth in a 3-way tie at 5’3”.
· Senior Jessica Drop of Coginchaug earned a personal record in winning the Girls 3200m Run in 10:17.54 as defending champion Hannah DeBalsi of Staples finished third in 10:26.99.
· Senior Gabriel Altopp of Ridgefield led a 1-2-4-5-6-7 finish by state athletes in the Boys 3200m Run with a winning time of 9:02.35. He was followed by Zakeer Ahmad of Staples in 2nd in 9:10.66, Brendan Murray of Cheshire (4th-9:11.97), Ian Mickool of Ridgefield (5th-9:13.16), Armstrong Noonan of Darien (6th-9:13.48) and Andrew Thompson of Fairfield Prep (7th-9:13.98).
· Fejiro Onakpoma of Naugatuck leaped 47’1.5” to win the Boys Triple Jump as Tumani Edwards of Danbury placed third (45’2”), Michael Agyeman of Manchester placed 4th (44’8”) and Antoine Sistrunk of Naugatuck placed 5th (44’1.5”).
Other top Connecticut performers in the 71st Annual New England Interscholastic Track and Field Championships included:
· The Ridgefield 4x800m Relay team placed second in 9:14.53 behind the Milton MA team with a winning time of 9:11.00. Glastonbury placed 4th in 9:22.16 followed by Greenwich in 5th at 9:23.87.
· Lucas Sumby of Old Saybrook placed second in the Boys 110m Hurdle finals in 14.81 behind winner Nathan Narcisse of Classical RI in 14.57. John Witik of Lyman Hall placed 4th in 15.23.
· Jiana Baker of Windsor finished second in the Girls 100m Dash in 12.03 behind winner Brooke-Lynn Williams of Norton MA in 11.90. Erica Belvit of Bloomfield followed in 4th at 12.29 and Kanajzae Brown of Bridgeport Central placed 6th in 12.34.
· Senior Jessica Drop of Coginchaug placed second in 4:49.47 behind defending champion Maegan Doody of Oyster River NH in 4:47.93. Mia Nahom of New Milford placed 4th in 4:58.70.
· Elijah Young of Wethersfield placed second in the Boys 400m Dash in 48.24 as he followed winner Rodney Agyare-May of Burncoat MA in 48.23. Jeven Frett of Manchester finished third in 48.95.
· The top finishers in the Girls 400m Dash won by May Stern of Classical RI in 56.66 included Sashana Hinds of Windsor in sixth in 57.63, Elizabeth McMahon of Conard (7th-58.51) and Julia Sprout of Tolland (8th-58.76).
· In the Girls 300m Hurdles, Danielle Brinckman of Glastonbury placed 5th in 45.84 and Andrea Mills of Bloomfield placed 6th in 45.85 as they followed winner Corinne Kennedy of Lebanon NH in 44.11.
· Sachin Manning of Bassick leaped 22’0” to earn third place in the Boys Long Jump behind the winning leap of 23’2.25” by Anthony DeNitto of Newton South MA.
· In the Girls Long Jump, Erika Hightower of Windsor placed 5th with a leap of 17’8.5” and Janaia Skibitcky of Cheshire placed 6th (17’8”) behind winner Brianna Duncan of Cambridge MA (18’11.25”).
· Safir Scott of Greenwich finished second in the Boys High Jump after he cleared 6’7” behind winner Justin Lewis of Lynn Vocation Technical MA with a6’11” effort. Julian Campbell of Wethersfield placed fifth with a 6’3” mark.
· Brittany Jones of Bloomfield placed second in the Girls Shot Put with a toss of 39’10.5” as she trailed winner Abbie Mokwuah of Longmeadow MA with a 39’11.25” mark.
· The top state performer in the Boys Shot Put was Thomas Sappier of Windham with a toss of 51’7” for seventh place behind winner Austin Lufkin of Brewer ME with a mark of 58’5.25”.
· In the Girls Discus Throw, Amanda Howe of Southington placed 3rd with an effort of 117’3” followed by a 4th place by Christina Johnson of Cheney Technical (116’10”) as winner Katey Comstock of Windsor VT won with a throw of 127’7”.
· Gianna D'Amato of Bristol Eastern placed sixth in the Girls Javelin Throw with a toss of 121’5” behind winner Julia Campezato of Dighton-Rehoboth MA with a mark of 130’2”.
· Tyler Gleen of Trumbull led a 2-3-4-5 state finish in the Boys 800m Run with a time of 1:52.97 close behind winner Jack Salisbury of La Salle Academy RI in 1:52.87. Randy Neish of Glastonbury was third at 1:53.09 followed by Jon Gill of Lyman Hall (1:53.46), James Lewis of Staples in 1:53.54 and Griffin Cobb of Sheehan in 7th at 1:54.52.
· Thomas Sappier of Windham placed third in the Javelin Throw with a toss of 130’3” behind the winning mark of 139’0” by Caleb Lacroix of Seacoast
· Milian Spisek of Joel Barlow and Terence Cook of Simsbury placed 4th in a 3-way tie in the Boys Pole Vault at 13’3” behind winner Erick Duffy of North Andover MA who won with a height of 15’6”.
· Geoff Kirk of Avon finished in second place in the Boys Discus Throw with a toss of 164’10” behind winner Jake Koffman of Orono ME (174’10”). Brian Robinson of Fitch placed fifth (151’4”).
· The Windsor Boys 4x400m Relay team placed second in 3:18.72 as Natick MA won in 3:18.25. Danbury followed in third place in 3:19.70 while Middletown placed 6th in 3:21.55.
· In the Boys Javelin Throw, Richard Williams placed third (177’0”) and Jack Weston of Ridgefield placed fourth (174’6”) behind the winning throw of 188’0” by Connor Finnegan of Billerica MA.
· Kenya Warner of Windsor placed third in the Girls Triple Jump with a leap of 37’5” as Brianna Duncan of Cambridge MA won her second event with a mark of 38’5”.
· AmyErin Zadroga of Tolland placed second in the Girls Pole Vault as she cleared 10’9” behind winner Julia Valenti of North Reading MA (12’3”). Danielle Cass of Weston placed third (10’9”) while Ali Moraveck of Masuk and Kelsie Hall of Norwich Free Academy tied for 5th place at 10’3”.
The complete meet results from the 71st Annual New England Interscholastic Track and Field Championships are now available on the Results page sponsored by soundRUNNER of Branford, Fairfield, Glastonbury and Old Saybrook.