On Monday afternoon the expected quality of performers in several events was evident to all those in attendance at the 2016 CIAC State Open Track and Field Championship at Willow Brook Park in New Britain CT on a near perfect weather day. The Bloomfield Girls team used top performances across several events to win their sixth Open title by a 72 to 56 point margin over runner-up Windsor. Defending champion Tolland finished in a third place tie with Wilbur Cross with 40 points. The Wethersfield Boys team won their first State Open title in a meet long struggle with 61 points followed by defending champion Windsor with 49 points, Bloomfield with 48.50 points and fourth place Danbury with 47.50 points.
In winning the CIAC Girls State Open Track and Field Championship team title, the Bloomfield Girls team entered a select group of teams to win six titles that includes Hillhouse of New Haven and Weaver of Hartford. The Bloomfield title was fueled by event wins by Adia Cavalier in the Triple Jump with a leap of 37’11.5” and their 4x100m Relay team of Zaidra James , Cassidy Palmer, Andrea Mills and Erica Belvit in a near meet record time of 46.96. Pivotal second place points were gained by Erica Belvit in the 100m Dash (12.03) and the 200m Dash (25.16) and Brittany Jones in the Shot Put with a toss of 42’5”. The 4x400m Relay team of Jahleah Harris, Andrea Mills, Nyla Pouncey and Jillian Mars helped secure the title with third place points in 3:55.64.
Among the many exciting performance two meet records were set on the track.
· Bridget Chiaravalle of Danbury tied the existing meet record in the 100m Hurdles when she finished in 14.16 in the preliminary round. The record was established in 1999 by Keshia Haughton of Hillhouse.
· The Glastonbury 4x800m Relay quartet of Morocca Wiley, Kristin Hughes, Allison McArdle and Olivia Allen won the race in a time of 9:10.65 to eclipse the time of 9:11.71 set in 2014 by Tolland.
Other top performers in the CIAC Girls State Open Outdoor Track and Field Championship included:
· Samantha Stevens of Shelton was a double winner as she defended her Shot Put title with a 42’7” mark and won the Discus Throw with a toss of 130’0”.
· Hannah DeBalsi of Staples won her third consecutive title in the 3200m Run in 10:33.26 ahead of runner-up Jessica Drop of Coginchaug in 10:37.84.
· Kanajzae Brown of Bridgeport Central blazed to a win in the 100m Dash in 11.98.
· Jiana Baker of Windsor sped to victory in the 200m Dash in 25.00.
· Sashana Hinds of Windsor raced to a win in the 400m Dash in 56.04.
· Emily Philippides of Greenwich secured the 800m Run title in a time of 2.11.90.
· Jessica Drop of Coginchaug outlasted runner-up Danae Rivers of Wilbur Cross in the 1600m Run to win in 4:48.29 to 4:52.36 for Rivers.
· Gabrielle Curtis of Wilbur Cross defended her title in the 100m Hurdles to win in 14.20.
· In the 300m Hurdles, Danielle Brinkman of Glastonbury overcame Curtis on the final hurdle to win in 43.70 to 43.97 for Curtis.
· The Wilbur Cross 4x400m Relay team of Leah Rivers, Danae Rivers, Erica Snape, and Gabrielle Curtis led five other teams under the 4-minute mark to win in 3:50.47.
· Elizabeth Lodge of Manchester was the better of three other competitors in the High Jump to win as they shared a height 5’4”.
· AmyErin Zadroga of Tolland cleared 11’6” to win the Pole Vault.
· Janaia Skibitcky of Cheshire leaped to a mark of 17’7.75” to win the Long Jump.
· Samantha Moravsky of Shepaug Valley won the Javelin Throw with a toss of 141’0”.
The first CIAC Boys State Open Track and Field Championship team title for the Wethersfield Boys team featured two event victories. Elijah Young won the 400m Dash in a 47.87 as the top five finishers ran under the 49-second mark. Young then scored a second place in the 200m Dash in 21.84. Richard Williams provide first place points with his win in the Javelin Throw with a toss of 187’4”. Huge second place points by the 4x100m Relay team of Jae-Quan Brown, Patrick Hurley, Lorenzo Burgos, and Elijah Young in 41.79. Julian Campbell had a busy meet as he tied for second in the High Jump with a 6’6” mark in the last event of the meet. Earlier in the meet, Campbell placed second in the Triple Jump with a mark of 46’1” and fourth in the Long Jump with a mark of 21’8.25”.
A new meet record was set in the 1600m Run as senior Eric van der Els of Brien McMahon won in a time of 4:08.42 to lower the former time of 4:11.97 set by Willie Ahearn of Danbury in 2008.
Other top performers in the CIAC Boys State Open Outdoor Track and Field Championship included:
· Mark Doyley of Weaver successfully defended his titles in the 100m Dash (10.62) and the 200m Dash (21.46).
· Geoff Kirk of Avon was another double winner as he won the Shot Put with a heave of 52’1” and the Discus Throw with a toss of 163’11”.
· Jon Gill of Lyman Hall used another gear in the final 100meters to win the 800m Run in 1:52.90 to lead the next four runners under the 1:54 mark.
· Lucas Sumby of Old Saybrook won the 110m Hurdle finals in a photo finish with John Witik of Lyman Hall by .009 as they crossed the finish line in 14.74.
· Keyion Dixon of Glastonbury won the 300m Hurdles in 38.38.
· Gabriel Altopp of Ridgefield used a 60-second final lap surge to win the 3200m Run in 9:07.64.
· The Bloomfield 4x100m team of Zaheem Anderson, Thomas Norman, Maurice Savage and Russell Thompson-Bishop sped to victory in 41.75.
· The Danbury 4x800m quartet of Trevor Reed, Pedro Pereira, Tim Moore and Terrell Cunningham outlasted Hamden and Amity to win in 7:52.11.
· The Windsor 4x400m Relay squad of Timothy Epps, Michael Mahon, Christopher McLean and Marcus Manson won in 3:19.84 in a close finish over Danbury in 3:20.03 and Middletown in 3:20.67.
· Safir Scott of Greenwich cleared 6’8” in the High Jump as the top three finishers went over the 6’6” mark.
· Devon McShane of Daniel Hand won a close finish in the Pole Vault with a height of 14’0 as did runner-up Lucas Sumby of Old Saybrook and Mark Deluca of Westhill.
· Zaheem Anderson of Bloomfield took home the gold medal in the Long Jump with a leap of 22’7.75”.
· Fejiro Onakpoma of Naugatuck won the Triple Jump with a leap of 47’1.50”.
The complete meet results from the CIAC State Open Outdoor Track & Field Championship are now available on the Results page sponsored by soundRUNNER of Branford, Fairfield, Glastonbury and Old Saybrook.
The meet results are also available as part of the performance lists at the Athletic.net Connecticut Track and Field Homepage for the 2016 Outdoor Season.