The measure of success for many teams in Connecticut over the past decade continues to be defined by the Bloomfield Girls and Boys teams. At the CIAC Class S Outdoor Track & Field Championship today at Willowbrook Park in New Britain CT, the Bloomfield Girls team pushed their consecutive win streak to nine titles as they won in convincing fashion by a 157 to 81 point margin over second place Coginchaug. The Bloomfield Boys team won their third consecutive title in the same resounding manner with 144 points while runner-up Old Saybrook trailed with 84 points.
In winning their ninth consecutive CIAC Girls Class S Championship title, the Bloomfield Girls team now owns the longest win streak in history of either CIAC Boys or Girls outdoor track and field meets. They were tied with the Norwich Free Academy Girls teams from 1994 through 2001 in Class LL. Their nine titles in Class S are in addition to their previous eight titles in Class M and two titles in Class MM.
The Bloomfield Girls team title was highlighted by three meet record performances:
· The 4x100m Relay quartet of Zaidra James, Cassidy Palmer, Andrea Mills and Erica Belvit combined for the victory in a meet record time of 47.07 that broke the 47.84 mark set by Bloomfield in 2012.
· Zaida James raced to victory in the 300m Hurdles in a time of 45.01 to establish a new meet standard that eclipsed the former record of 45.55 set by Kadiejah Stewart of Bloomfield in 2014. James was also the winner of the 100m Hurdle finals in 14.82.
· Adia Cavalier scored winning points in the Triple Jump with a leap of 37’10.75” to extend the former mark of 37’5” set in 2002 by Chantal Davis of Hyde Leadership.
Additionally, defending champion Cassidy Palmer scored two individual event wins in the 100m Dash finals in 12.18 and the 200m Dash in 25.15. Each race also included a second place effort by Erica Belvit. Jillian Mars also scored winning points in the 400m Dash with a time of 58.52. Jahleah Harris also took home a gold medal in the Long Jump with a leap of 17’4”. Bloomfield finished their successful day with a win in the 4x400m Relay in 3:58.28 by the team of Jahleah Harris, Andrea Mills, Nyla Pouncey and Jillian Mars.
Senior Jessica Drop of Coginchaug blazed to double wins in meet record times in the 1600m Run and the 3200m Run. In defending her 1600m Run title, Drop sped to a winning time of 4:52.10 that refreshed the former mark of 4:54.28 set by Sarah Gillespie of NW Catholic in 2011. Drop’s 3200m Run record time of 10:33.44 smashed the previous mark of 11:01.82 set last year by Jenna Gasparrini of Immaculate. Also under the old mark was sibling Samantha Drop who placed second in a time 10 11:00.25.
Other top performers in the CIAC Class S Girls Outdoor Track and Field Championship included:
· Alexandra Alsup of Coginchaug took home top honors for the second year in a row in the 800m Run with a time of 2:17.31.
· The Coginchaug 4x800m Relay team of Ashley Dana, Lauren Fairchild, Samantha Drop, and Alexandra Alsup combined for a winning time of 9:38.20.
· Taylor Nogiec of University HS won the High Jump with a height of 5’2”.
· Katie Seegert of Old Saybrook cleared 10’6” to win the Pole Vault.
· Valeria Hernandez of Windham Tech took top honors in the Shot Put with her personal best mark of 40’1”.
· Christina Johnson of Cheney Tech was the gold medalist in the Discus Throw with a mark of 107’10”.
· Samantha Moravsky of Shepaug Valley defended her title and won the Javelin Throw with a toss of 136’7”.
The Bloomfield Boys team have started their own modest win streak in the CIAC Boys Class S Championship meet as they notched their third in a row and sixth in Class S to accompany their six titles in Class M. Their team title featured two meet record performances.
· The 4x100m Relay team of Zaheem Anderson, Thomas Norman, Maurice Savage and Russell Thompson-Bishop combined for the win in a time 41.74 that lowered the former record time of 42.25 set by Hyde Leadership in 2005.
· Zaheem Anderson won the Long Jump with a leap of 23’9.25” to eclipse the previous mark of 23’0” set by Tylon Burris of Ellington in 1996.
In the sprint events, huge points came in the 100m Dash finals in a 2-3-4 finish from Zaheem Anderson, Russell Thompson-Bishop and Thomas Norman. More points came in the 200m Dash as Thompson-Bishop and Norman secured a 2-3 finish. Christian Hall-Gardner provided more first place points as he won the Shot Put with a toss of 48’2”.
Other important points came from second place finishes by Khyrin Williams in the Discus Throw and by the 4x400m Relay team of Al-Malik Williams, Isaiah Terry, Maurice Savage and Patrick Whyte in 3:28.05.
More top performers in the CIAC Class S Boys Outdoor Track and Field Championship included:
· Senior Lucas Sumby of Old Saybrook was a triple individual event winner as he took home top honors in the 110m Hurdle finals (14.69), the 300m Hurdles (39.83) and the Pole Vault (14’1”).
· Junior Mark Doyley of Weaver defended his titles both the 100m Dash finals (10.89) and the 200m Dash (21.83).
· Junior Connor Ratte of Coventry was another double winner as he took gold medals in the 800m Run (1:58.27) and the 1600m Run (4:26.28).
· Sean Parker of Shepaug Valley earned top honors in the 3200m Run in 9:48.90.
· The Classical Magnet 4x400m Relay team of Juan Echevarria, Carlos Echevarria, Austin Francis and Jameal Cushnie combined for a winning time of 3:24.77.
· The 4x800m Relay was won by Shepaug Valley in a time of 8:15.82 by the team of Ryan Welsh, Sean Welsh , Quinton Walsh and Chandler Wetherbee.
· Yafari Boland of Classical Magnet cleared 6’0” to win the High Jump.
· Sean Fahey of Immaculate leaped 43’7” to take the gold medal in the Triple Jump.
· William Briggs of Canton won the Discus Throw with his mark of 158’2”.
· Ed Sharpe of Derby earned a victory in the Javelin Throw with a toss of 173’0”.
The complete meet results from the CIAC Class S Outdoor Track & Field Championship are now available on the Results page sponsored by soundRUNNER of Branford, Fairfield, Glastonbury and Old Saybrook.
The meet results are also available as part of the performance lists at the Athletic.net Connecticut Track and Field Homepage for the 2016 Outdoor Season.