Two teams claimed top honors for the first time at the CIAC Class MM Outdoor Track and Field Championships on Wednesday at Middletown High School in Middletown CT. The Avon Girls team earned their first ever team title in a close contest with 61 points to defeat runner-up Nonnewaug with 60 points and third place Jonathan Law and Berlin with 59 points. The Windsor Boys team claimed their first Class MM team title after five previous consecutive Class L titles by amassing 105 point to out distance runner-up Fitch with 68 points.
The first-ever team title by the Avon Girls team at the CIAC Girls Class MM Championship was driven by only two event victories by Carly Regalado in 300m Hurdles with a time of 47.43 and Kaleigh Sherman in the Javelin Throw with a toss of 127’11”. The other key contributors to their capture of the narrowly contested team title included two third place from Carly Carpino in the Long Jump (16’3”) and Ryley Higgins in the 3200m Run (11:54.01). Another third place effort came in the 4x100m Relay in 50.51 by the quartet of Shilpa Donde, Carly Carpino, Gina Lindley and Riley Abate. A fourth place performance by occurred in the 4x800m Relay from the team of Madison Sides, Ashley Martin, Chrstina Martin and Ryley Higgins in 10:22.18. Fifth place points were provided in the Pole Vault by Audrey Worth (9’0”) as well as Carly Regalado in the 100m Hurdle finals (16.33) and Riley Abate in the 100m Dash finals in 12.80. A sixth place was secured in the final 4x400m Relay event in 4:15.39 with the team of Anya Ek, Aiyssa Crawford, Shilpa Donde and Carly Regalado to ensure the team title.
Other top performers in the CIAC Class MM Girls Outdoor Track and Field Championship included:
· Mary Bibbey of Nonnewaug took home two gold medals as she won the 1600m Run in 5:05.97 and the 3200m Run in 11:10.95.
· Kathryn Kelly of Lauralton Hall sped to victory in the 100m Dash finals in 12.35.
· Hailey Onorato of East Haven won the 100m Hurdle finals in 15.31.
· Kiara Smith of Jonathan Law took top honors in the 200m Dash in 25.66
· Grace Blackwell of Joel Barlow secured first place in the 400m Dash in 57.81.
· Megan Brawner of Ledyard closed in 2:22.49 to win the 800m Run.
· Nonnewaug took first place honors in the 4x800m Relay in 9:57.62 with the team of Brooke Andrew, Sarah Woodward, Jacquelin Berger and Mary Bibbey.
· Berlin captured first place in the 4x100m Relay with the team of Nicole Xiarhos, Taylor Budney, Hannah Schulz and Sarah Daddario in a time of 49.71.
· The 4x400m Relay was won in 4:08.64 by the Sacred Heart Academy quartet of Isabela Blackwell, Anne Cunningham, Johannah Litchfield and Emily Wielk.
· Sydnee Spruill of Fitch won the High Jump as she cleared 5’2”.
· Kyleigh Dumas of Joel Barlow cleared 10’6” to win the Pole Vault.
· Olivia Steiner of Jonathan Law soared 17’2.75” to win the Long Jump.
· Claira Janover of Branford leaped 35’5” for the gold medal in the Triple Jump.
· Lauryn Gause of Brookfield earned top honor in the Shot Put with an effort of 37’4.75”.
· Kara Heilemann of Woodstock Academy secured a win in the Discus Throw with a mark of 121’1”.
The Windsor Boys team continued their consecutive win streak in class meets as they captured their first CIAC Boys Class MM Championship after winning the five previous Class L meets. The Windsor team title was powered on the track by several event wins including a 1-2 finish in the 100m Dash finals by Tyler Coyle (10.78) and Kyshawn Bonner (10.81). The 200m Dash provide the largest amount of points from a 1-2-3 sweep by Tyler Coyle (21.92), Kyshawn Bonner (21.99) and Timothy Epps (22.45). First place points were also secured in the 4x100m Relay in a time of 42.17 by the team of Jakwan Simmons, Tyler Coyle, Michael Mahon and Kyshawn Bonner. The 4x400m Relay provided a final exclamation point as the quartet of Timothy Epps. Michael Mahon, Christopher McLean and Marcus Manson combined for a winning time of 3:24.12. Other important points came from a second place by Marcus Manson in the 300m Hurdles in 40.12 and in the 400m Dash by Timothy Epps in 50.11. A fourth place was earned by Jason Pinnock in the 110m Hurdle finals in 16.01 as well as a fifth place by Ryan Harrington in the 800m Run in 2:00.27.
More top performers in the CIAC Class MM Boys Outdoor Track and Field Championship included:
· John Witik of Lyman Hall was a double event winner as he won the 110m Hurdle finals in 14.94 and the 300m Hurdles in 39.67.
· Gabriel Abdul-Karim of Hillhouse won two gold medals in the High Jump with a height of 6’4” and the Triple Jump with a mark of 46’9.5”.
· Omar Gebril of North Haven won the 400m Dash in 49.38.
· Jon Gill of Lyman Hall took the gold medal in the 800m Run with a time of 1:55.37.
· Ben Siciliano of Guilford ran to victory in the 1600m Run in a time of 4:21.34.
· Michael Rautter of New Fairfield earned first place in the 3200m Run in a time of 9:33.03.
· The Lyman Hall 4x800m Relay team of Mike Ransom, Brian Oliveira, Jordan Crawford and Jon Gill won in a time of 8:14.02.
· Milan Spisek of Joel Barlow cleared 13’6” to win the Pole Vault.
· Sachin Manning of Bassick leaped 22’1.5” for victory in the Long Jump.
· Shane O'Connor of North Haven won the Shot Put with a heave of 51’5”.
· Geoff Kirk of Avon took first place honors in the Discus Throw with a mark of 153’4”.
· Anthony Valentino of North Haven won the Javelin Throw with a toss of 161’1”.
The complete meet results from the CIAC Class MM Outdoor Track & Field Championships are now available on the Results page sponsored by soundRUNNER of Branford, Fairfield, Glastonbury and Old Saybrook.
The meet results are also available as part of the performance lists at the Athletic.net Connecticut Track and Field Homepage for the 2016 Outdoor Season.