On Tuesday at the CIAC Class L Outdoor Track and Field Championship at Middletown High School in Middletown CT, the Windsor Girls team added a fifth title with a 113 to 61 point victory over runner-up Wilbur Cross after winning the Class MM titles the past two years. The Wethersfield Boys team earned their second Class L title as they easily outscored runner-up Manchester by a 141 to 69 point margin of victory.
The Windsor Girls team return to the CIAC Girls Class L Championship that marked their fifth team title and seventh overall was fueled by two meet record performances. The first meet record came in the 4x100m Relay as the team of Camille McHenry, Sashana Hinds, Erika Hightower and Jiana Baker combined for victory in 47.88 that eclipsed the 47.96 set by a Windsor team in 2010. Jiana Baker set the second meet record in the 100m Dash finals as she sped to the winning time of 11.76 to lower the former mark of 11.80 set by Shanea Calhoun of Wilbur Cross in 2004. Baker then came back later in the meet to win the 200m Dash in 25.22. Sashana Hinds also took home a gold medal in the 400m Dash with her time of 55.95. Kenya Warner scored a victory in the Triple Jump with a leap of 35’11.75”. The 4x400m Relay team of Sashana Hinds, Brittney Brown, Annicka McDonald and Camille McHenry capped their team title effort with a second place time of 3:57.06.
Defending champion Gabrielle Curtis of Wilbur Cross scored two individual titles as she sped to victories in the meet record times in both hurdle events. Curtis won the 100m Hurdles in a meet record time of 14.23 to edge runner-up Vickie Milledge of Simsbury in 14.45 as both time were under the former mark of 14.51 set by Tamara Highsmith of East Haven in 2004. Later in the meet, Curtis lowered her meet record of 44.16 from last year as she won in 43.34 while Milledge was second in 46.18.
More top performers in the CIAC Class L Girls Outdoor Track and Field Championship included:
· Hannah Tower of New Milford scored a first place in the 800m Run with a time of 2:19.01.
· Defending champion Danae Rivers of Wilbur Cross won the 1600m Run in 5:00.67.
· Mia Nahom of New Milford took home the gold medal in the 3200m Run with a time of 10:53.59.
· The New Milford team of Sara Grudzwick, Hannah Tower, Riley Peragine and Brigit Humphreys combined to win the 4x800m Relay in 9:36.66.
· Wilbur Cross won the 4x400m Relay in near meet record time of 3:54.73 with the team of SungMi Johnson, Leah Rivers, Erica Snape, and Danae Rivers.
· In a jump off, Sonia Atluru of North Haven won the High Jump at 5’1” over runner-up Cecilia Piscitelli of Masuk.
· Ava Coleman of Mercy cleared 11’0” to win the Pole Vault.
· Erica Marriott of North Haven soared 18’1.50” to earn the win in the Long Jump.
· Brielle Wilborn of Middletown took home the gold medal in the Shot Put with her effort of 37’2”.
· Claire Conley of New Canaan won the Discus Throw with a mark of 109’6”.
· Gianna D'Amato of Bristol Eastern scored a first place in the Javelin Throw with a toss of 125’2”.
After a second place effort last year, the Wethersfield Boys team claimed the team title in the CIAC Class L Boys Championship, their second in this class in addition to the 2006 title and fifth overall that includes three titles in Class MM. The Wethersfield Boys team balance of victories on the track and in the field was highlighted by wins from Elijah Young in the 200m Dash in 21.62 and the 400m Dash in 48.40 as well as a double win by Nicholas Cusano in the Shot Put (47’1.75”) and the Discus Throw (139’10”). More event victories were claimed by Richard Williams in the Javelin Throw with a toss of 177’4” and the 4x100m Relay in 42.00 by the quartet of Jae-Quan Brown, Patrick Hurley, Lorenzo Burgos, and Elijah Young. Brown and Christopher Manousos also placed 2-3 in the 100m Dash finals.
More top performers in the CIAC Class L Boys Outdoor Track and Field Championship included:
· Fejiro Onakpoma of Naugatuck was a double winner as he leaped 21’9” in the Long Jump and 46’10” in the Triple Jump.
· Armstrong Noonan of Dairen was another double winner as he won the 1600m Run in 4:26.68 and the 3200m Run in 9:31.10.
· DeShaun Bradshaw of Middletown won the 100m Dash in 10.96.
· Aaron Breene of Wilton took home top honors in the 800m Run in 1:57.11.
· Jevon Smith of Bristol Central edged teammate Jorge Hernandez to win the 110m Hurdle finals in 15.14.
· Elliott Paintsil of Notre Dame West Haven won the 300m Hurdles in 39.32.
· The Darien 4x800m Relay quartet of Jason Flynn, Jack Murray, James Fay and Armstrong Noonan won in 8:07.35
· The 4x400m Relay was won in a time of 3:23.18 by the Middletown team of Justin McMillian, Frank Gene Footman, Garrett Dandridge and Laurenzo Thompkins.
· Philip Quaye of Manchester cleared 6’4” to win the High Jump.
· Devon McShane of Daniel Hand won the Pole Vault title with a height of 14’0”.
The complete meet results from the CIAC Class L Outdoor Track & Field Championship is available on the Results page sponsored by soundRUNNER of Branford, Fairfield, Glastonbury and Old Saybrook.
The meet results are also available as part of the performance lists at the Athletic.net Connecticut Track and Field Homepage for the 2016 Outdoor Season.