The very wet and cold weather that was more appropriate for early spring rather than early June on Monday afternoon forced suspension of the CIAC Outdoor Track and Field Championship Class L meet at Middletown High School and the Class S meet at Willowbrook Park in New Britain. Further information about when the meets will resume will be announced at the CIAC Outdoor Track and Field site. The Class LL meet at Willowbrook Park and the Class MM meet at Middletown are scheduled for today.
Unofficial results of some of the events that were completed in the CIAC Class L Championship meet included:
· The Boys 4x800m Relay was won by defending champion William Hall of West Hartford in a near meet record time of 8:01.43 by the team of Grant O'Connor, Max Aronow, Jonathan Kaback and Ari Klau. Windsor placed second in 8:04.49.
· The quartet of MacKenzie Pias, Bridgid Selfors, Catherine LoBianco and Talia Staiger of Mercy HS of Middletown won the Girls 4x800m Relay in 9:44.39. The EO Smith team was runner-up with a time of 9:51.96.
· In the Boys 4x100m Relay, the Windsor team of Courtney Rush, Tyler Coyle, Yishay Brooks and Kyshawn Bonner sped to victory in 42.39 followed by Wethersfield in 42.85.
· The Girls 4x100m saw the Masuk team of Kenzie McFarland, Courtney McCoy, Abigail Zembrowski and Abbey Saia edge runner-up Farmington by a 50.92 to 51.07 margin.
· In the Boys 1600m Run, senior Spencer Brown of Wilton won in a time of 4:13.29 that bettered the meet record of 4:14.05 set by Dan Wilson of Notre Dame in 1997. Armstrong Noonan of Darien placed second in 4:18.01 with Ari Klau of Hall in third at 4:20.30.
· In the Girls 1600m Run, Danae Rivers of Wilbur Cross finished first in 4:59.58 to easily outdistance the field as Bridgid Selfors Mercy was second in 5:15.23 and Mary Lynch of Wilton third in 5:18.41.
· In field events severely limited by the wet and cold conditions, Madeleine Schneider of Darien defended her title in the Pole Vault by clearing a height of 10'6", well below her season best of 12'. In a similar result, defending champion Ian Bergere of Daniel Hand won the Boys Pole Vault with a safe height of 13'0" where his best this season was a 15'6" effort.
· The Boys Javelin Throw was won by Richard Williams of Wethersfield with a toss of 161'5" while Dan Hardiman of Farmington won the Shot Put with a heave of 53'4" that tied his season best mark.
· Top seeded Paige LeComer of Bunnell won the Girls Long Jump with a leap of 16:6.5".
· The Boys High Jump featured four athletes who cleared 6'2" as Tyler Coyle of Windsor won based on fewer missed attempts at the lower heights.
· In the Girls Discus Throw, winner Maria Chiaia of North Haven secured the implement to manage a throw of 115'2 that was a personal best this season.
Unofficial results of some of the events that were completed in the CIAC Class S Championship meet at Veterans' Stadium in Willowbrook Park included:
· The Canton Boys 4x800m Relay team of Noah O'Leary, Dean Yost, James Yost and Augden Shaw finished first in 8:21.61 over runner-up Litchfield in 8:25.51.
· Defending champion Coginchaug won the Girls 4x800m Relay in 9:51.30 with the quartet of Alexandra Alsup, Bailey Thayer, Samantha Drop and Jessica Drop as Immaculate of Danbury finished second in 10:05.56.
· The Boys 4x100m Relay title was secured in a time of 43.31 by the Bloomfield team of Zaheem Anderson, Russell Thompson-Bishop, Thomas Norman and Emmanuel Jones while Career Magnet was runner-up in 44.56.
· The Bloomfield team of Andrea Mills, Adia Cavalier, Cheyenne Brown and Erica Belvit sped to victory in the Girls 4x100m Relay in 50.01 over runner-up Lyman Memorial in 52.77.
· The Boys 1600m Run featured a win by Connor Ratte of Coventry in a time of 4:35.91 over runner-up John Poitras of Somers in 4:37.65.
· Junior Jessica Drop of Coginchaug won the Girls 1600m Run in a time of 5:08.98 with Jenna Gasparrini of Immaculate taking second place in 5:17.04.
· Eugenia Weaver of the Sports Medicine and Science Academy (SMSA) of Hartford won the Girls 100m Hurdles finals with a time of 15.64 as Jillian Kilmer of St. Paul Catholic was second in 16.22.
· In limited field events at the renovated facility at Willowbrook Park, Ehren Meisinger of East Hampton won the Boys Pole Vault with a height of 12'0".
· The Boys Javelin Throw was won by Carl Anderson of Old Saybrook with an effort of 139'3".
· The Boys High Jump title was captured by Amaziah Gadson of Bloomfield with a height of 6'0".