The doubleheader action today at the New Haven Track and Field Center at Hillhouse High School in New Haven CT continues with this evening with the CIAC Class LL Championship at 4:30pm.
At the CIAC Class LL Boys Championship meet later today, the depleted Hamden team will be hard pressed to defend their title from a year ago as a crop of challengers vie for the top team honors that includes Amity, Danbury, Norwich Free Academy and Staples.
The Amity team is anchored by Dean Bhatt and Clark Shurtleff in the distance events, Jesse Sanchez in the sprints and David Karabinos in the Long Jump and High Jump.
The Danbury Boys team looks strong again with distance, sprint and field events covered as they are led by Alex Levine in the 1000m Run, a 1-2 punch in the 55m Dash with Daryle Michael Dennis and Dele Owoye, a top rated 4x200m squad and Christopher Dubuc-Penny in the Pole Vault. They are also contenders for top points in each of the three remaining relay events.
The Norwich Free Academy squad could score big points from performances by Anthony Facchini in the Shot Put, Taylor Davidson in the Pole Vault and Andrew Weiler and Vos Hunter on the track.
The Staples team enters the meet with the top ranked 4x400m relay squad as well as Raphael-Andre Ray in the 300m Dash and 600m Run. They also have Dean Hefnawy in the Pole Vault and Jonathan Heil in the 300m Dash.
Other top state performers and events to watch in the Boys Class LL Championship events include:
· The top rated Hamden 4x800m team starts the meet in the first track event.
· Top ranked Ryan Pajor of Glastonbury in the 1000m Run has to contend with Levine of Danbury and David Pugliese (Xavier) and then will also have to contend with Rog of Fairfield Prep and Jacob Feinstein of Newtown in the 1600m Run.
· A trio of the state's best distance runners in the 3200m Run with Luke Perron of Conard, Jonathan Annelli of Xavier and Connor Rog of Fairfield Prep.
· Adam Robertino of Norwalk is top seeded in the 55m Hurdles
· Malcolm Connor of Trumbull has to deal with Ray of Staples in the 600m Run.
· Jake Scinto of Cheshire is top ranked in both the High Jump and Long Jump
· John Wlasuk of Newtown is the best in state this season in the Shot Put
The chase for the CIAC Class LL Girls Championship meet this evening should be a test of sprint/field versus distance as defending champion Danbury tries to repeat for team honors against a distance-laden Glastonbury team led by UConn-bound Lindsay Crevoiserat.
Danbury may come up short in defense of their title of a year ago as they only have the top rated 4x200m Relay and a second rated 4x800m relay team as well as top ranked Maya Walton in the High Jump and Long Jump. Much needed points are needed from Nyoshee Lowry (55m Hurdles), Michelle Grecni (Pole Vault) and Christina Sperry (Shot Put).
The Glastonbury team is led by nationally ranked Lindsay Crevoiserat in the distance events (1000m, 1600m and 3200m) that also features Reid Watson and Cara Dorris as a potential for 64 points in those three events. Glastonbury also has a top rated 55m Hurdler in McKenzie Hollenbaugh who will vie with Julia Levesque (Simsbury) and the top ranked 4x400m and 1600m Sprint Medley relay teams. Additional points can be added to their total by Kristen Dragotta (55m Dash), Rachel Peterson (Shot Put) and Olivia Orrill (High Jump).
Other top state performers and events to watch in the Girls Class LL Championship events include:
· the Ridgefield 4x800m Relay squad contends with the Danbury team
· Ashia Wright (Cheshire) and Shellyann Lindo (Brien McMahon) lead a talented field in the 55m Dash.
· Mara Lieberman of Hamden in the 1600m Run.
· The 600m Dash features Ingrid Johnson (Staples) and Abby Markowitz (Greenwich).
· Turner Block (Staples) and Lindo (Brien McMahon) are top rated in the 300m Dash.
· Wahnetah Carty of Norwich Free Academy challenges Walton of Danbury in the Long Jump.
· The top three entries in the Pole Vault are Allison Sullivan (NFA), Lexie Schachne (Staples) and Nicole Lorinsky (NFA)
· The top ranked entries in the Shot Put are Cherraine Davis (Southington), Katherine Simon (Amity) and Kodilichi Udeh (Hall).
Live Results for 2011 CIAC Meets from Northeast Sports Timing Service
The live results for each 2011 CIAC Class Championship meet will be available for the duration of the meet from Northeast Sports Timing Service at their website: http://www.nesportstiming.com/ .