The New Canaan Boys and the Windsor Girls teams earned the team titles at the 2011 CIAC Class L Indoor Track and Field Championships today at the New Haven TF Center.
The New Canaan Boys team title victory in the CIAC Class L Championship was by a comfortable margin as they scored 67 points to 54 points for runner-up Daniel Hand of Madison and 42 points for third place Naugatuck. The New Canaan win featured event wins in the Shot Put by Alexander Farina (51'3.25"), Patrick Daly in the 1000m Run (2:27.03) in a close finish with Muad Hrezi (Naugatuck) in 2:37.07 and Andrew Haff (Hand) in 2:37.94. The New Canaan 4x400m Relay squad of Henson Orser, Isaiah Maisonette, Alex Spinu and Daly also scored a win with a time of 3:34.17.
The only meet record performance came in the 1600m Run as Daniel Nestor of Hand crossed the line in 4:18.17 to erase the previous mark of 4:22.71 set by Brian McGovern of Fairfield Prep in 2001.
Amanze Williams of Naugatuck was a double winner in the High Jump by clearing 6'-2" and the Long Jump with a leap of 23'3".
More outstanding performances came in the following events:
· Zachary Langs of Windsor took first place in the 55m Hurdles - 7.78
· A close duel in the 3200m Run between winner Harry Warnick of Fairfield Warde in 9:44.22 bested runner-up Daniel Nestor of Hand in 9:44.47
· Ben Lakeman of East Lyme won the 600m Run in 1:24.02 in a close finish with Jacob Eschner Bristol Central in 1:24.76 and third place finisher Alex Spinu of New Canaan in 1:24.99
· Kevin Keller of Darien took the gold in the 300m Dash in 35.85
· Donarth Thompson of Bulkeley was the fastest in the 55m Dash in 6.55
· Tyler John of Masuk cleared 12'6" to win the Pole Vault.
In a reversal of the final score from last year, the Windsor Girls Team claimed the 2011 CIAC Class L Championship team title by a single point over defending champion Darien, 85 to 84. Trailing by nine points with a single event remaining, the Windsor 4x200m Relay quartet of Chalsea Clarke, Courtney Kearse, Janae Wilson and Brianna Allen finished first in 1:46.32 to earn 10 points and the team title.
The Darien team had built a large early lead on the strength of a 1-2-4 finish in the Pole Vault by Elizabeth Crafford (10'0"), Lee Bolton and Charlotte Phillips, a first place in the High Jump from Catherine Lacy (5'0"), a win in the 4x800m Relay in 9:44.37 (Amanda Dobler, Katie Donovan, Dillon Schoen and Grace Loh), and a win by Megan Keane in the 1000m Run in 3:04.76.
Then Windsor started to accumulate points with event victories in the 1600m Sprint Medley (Jocelyn Harris, Courtney Kearse, Nastasya Rodriques and Medinah Nabadduka) in 4:19.34 as well as Chalsea Clarke in the 55m Dash in 7.26. More points came in a 1-2 finish in the 300m Dash from Brianna Allen (41.44) and Chalsea Clarke (42.31), the Long Jump as Janae Wilson leaped 17'4.25" for first place and the 4x400m Relay squad (Brianna Allen, Ashley Graves, Medinah Nabadduka and Nastasya Rodriques) won in 4:06.05.
Other gold medal performances came in the following events:
· Leyna Donaldson of Middletown won the 55m Hurdles in 9.42.
· In the Shot Put, Katherine Nielsen of Mercy won with a toss of 38'10.5".
· Brandy LeClair of Fitch ran to first place in the 3200m Run in 11:29.63.
· In the 1600m Run, Cate Allen of Fairfield Warde took home a win in 5:18.75.
· Samantha Kiely of Fitch finished in 1:39.21 to secure first in the 600m Run.
The complete results from are available at the Results page. A results report by team is also available as MySportsResults partners with Northeast Sports Timing Services to include posting of an Adobe PDF file (labeled Meet Name -Team Results) containing the results sorted by team so that coaches can easily print their athletes and performances.